Interstate Hotels - Poor Management | Glassdoor

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

Pros

Managed by Interstate Hotels which has a great reputation as a hotel franchiser. Limited opportunity for advancement at this location though. May be better at other locations. Does not cover relo costs or encourage relocation to other cities like other hotel management companies.

Cons

Poor upper management (GM) that does not seem to care about its employees. Non-supportive GM that doesnt seem to do anything but sit in his office all day and watch the news and youtube while delegating his work to his managers and assistant. Very unprofessional towards customers and other employees as well. Many instances I witnessed GM yelling at other employees and being rude to guests. Not a good role model to subordinates because of this. The rest of the team is great to work with but overall it is a very negative environment since you feel like you are always walking on eggshells with upper management.

Advice to Management

Fire upper management. Lack the skills to management a team and create a positive working environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Interstate Hotels

1. "Good experience, more communication needed."

Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I got to learn independent management skills- often times, depending on the property, you're the staff member and acting manager on duty. This forces you to really understand the hotel and how to deal with customers and situations on the fly. Even as a desk agent I was forced to make quick decisions that shaped the operations of the hotel.

Cons

I worked short term, so I can't comment on the advancement side of things but you have much more contact with the AGM than you do the GM, and most of the time I was around other desk workers more than management, so I couldn't get much top-down communication.

Advice to Management

More transparency in why things are done would be nice. Understanding why price groups are blocked off is nice, especially since it can be frustrating when they aren't available for someone who deserves it- like a military family.

2. "whats the name of Interstates medical insurer"

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time

Pros

good benefits, great location, loads of talent

Cons

please stop with clopen shifts they're a virus