Intuit - Good, but I wanted something more... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

"Good, but I wanted something more..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pros
* Total compensation package was good ( pay, stocks, 401k matching )
* Beautiful campus and excellent food.
* Amenities such as free food + beer on Fridays, free gym usage where other companies are charging employees ~$20 just to shower!
* There is ton of diversity and some of the best people I've had a chance to work with.

Cons

* How many people does it take? Definitely too many cooks in the kitchen for certain jobs.
* Always looking out for # 1, Always? - Promoting oneself always seemed to be among the top in a priority list, even when promoting means lip service.
* Becoming too cushy - I've heard it once referred to as a "country club", while the environment is ok and the amenities are top notch, the daily work is something to be undesired. I referred to it as " a nice play to retire from without the security " since the fear of losing ones job is more evident.
* Agile methods - the use of agile methodologies are used poorly and our "scrum masters" merely follow the process verbatim without questioning it's usefulness. How useful is a 1 hour scrum every day for a small group where the same regurgitated info is mentioned three times out of the week? I don't understand the use of explaining what we're working on when we clearly have it entered in 2-3 other areas throughout a monthly sprint.
* Meeting junkies - Meeting place for everything, I mean everything! If it involves more than 2 people, that's automatic meeting place instead of just going over and speaking to the person(s).

Advice to Management

* Whenever senior management did come down to San Diego to give us a peep talk about how the company is doing, it felt more like a cheer leading squad clamoring on about how great the company is doing and comparing "us" to other "software giants" like apple, and Google. While I understand this is more for morale than anything, the companies you are comparing Intuit too are in a completely different domain and business. Let's admire the accomplishes and see what we can learn and leverage, but let's not "try" to become the next Apple or Google, Concentrate on doing what your good at and expand. Social, mobile, OK fine, that's a great niche market but not generally something to get the whole company aroused about just because a Quicken app is up at the Apple store.

* CG is your biggest money maker that is loosing it's pie to smaller competitors like TaxAct. The current CEO slogan is "this isn't your grandma's Intuit". Well, during my time there I certainly felt like it was organized that way. One can only sugar coat a cover of Turbotax year after year, while having the same product underneath. Take more risks while you are ahead now, soon that gap will erode as your core business gets eaten away by smaller fish.
Place more of your eggs in other baskets. Another interesting intuitism of "learn fast, fail fast", start practicing this instead of waiting for the next annual tax season or waiting for the Federal government to dictate how you should service them.

Other Employee Reviews for Intuit

"Some good, mostly bad."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Great offices
    - Great cafeterias and onsite services
    - Peet's coffee

Cons

- Weak leaders - they don't set clear goals, give feedback or focus on growing the business and future leaders
    - Promotions are a real crap shoot - you'd better join as a Director or you'll be spinning the proverbial Wheel of Fortune for years to come regardless of your work product or contributions
    - Culture of fear and covering your tush - there's no courage or encouragement to say what you think or stand up to the status quo - doing so will get you labeled as a "detractor" who doesn't "frame" issues well and, if you continue to speak up, you'll see your career/"brand" derailed or terminated

Advice to Management

Start measuring actual performance metrics across the company. Hold leaders accountable for tangible results, especially the GPTW survey results. How can you promote someone who's entire team thinks he's a dishonest snake with a say/do ratio in the toilet? Do you know who I'm talking about??? Just ask around.

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Mountain View, CA

Pros

High integrity, respectful environment. Great beneifts, pay and worklife balance.

Cons

Value of employee as key stakeholder has slipped in the past couple years.

Advice to Management

Trust employees and care for them...they will do the right thing.