Intuit - it used to be a great place to work, now it's just ok | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

"it used to be a great place to work, now it's just ok"

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

Pros

-great leadership development tools and programs
-good, talented people
-great salary & benefits
-interesting customer problems

Cons

-very management heavy...lots of bureaucracy, silos, unbalanced say/do ratios. You need a committee of at least 5 VP-level folks (Engineering, Product Management, Sales, Marketing, and Service/Support) to make even small decisions.
-has lost its way as a product company, or at least has decided that it wants to play a different way. The new sr leadership team doesn't have deep experience creating & winning with products so they're focusing on acquisitions. As a product person, if I wanted to spend my time integrating offerings & companies I would rather work for Cisco, HP, or Oracle...

Advice to Management

This isn't advice per se, but it became tiring to hear about all the change needed without hearing anything about how the leadership team is doing so. The implication was always "we need different employees".

Other Employee Reviews for Intuit

"Not as great as it was under Steve"

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

Compensation is excellent and fair
    Learning culture
    Passion for customer

Cons

IIT
    some ICs don't get promoted because they are technically strong and management fails to recognize their leadership skills

Advice to Management

don't become a boiled frog

"Great company, weighed down by risk aversion"

Current Employee - Front Line Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Front Line Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Still connected to our customers
    Great general manager in consumer group (tax).
    Still plenty of consumer group leadership that care very much about the employees.
    Still feels like a 'medium sized' company.
    Has done comparatively well during the recession.
    I enjoy the people I work with
    I enjoy the work I do... we doing amazing stuff in my area
    It's stressful but rewarding
    Cash 'spotlight' recognition

Cons

A lot of these negative reviews are from the small business group (QuickBooks brands). They've had a tough year, hit by the recession which means tough numbers, org change, layoffs, etc. To be expected but still really hard to live through, especially for the front line people with less visibility.

In consumer group (tax):
    Haven't seen a lot of leadership at the VP level for a while, expect this to be fixed as some transitions settle down.
    Almost all effort spent on dealing with downside risk to protect existing products and revenue... it's less fun to protect existing business and be on the 'defense' then to have less to loose and go for aggressive growth.
    Some of the engineering leadership doesn't understand that shared services means that we have to SUPPORT each other instead of tear each other apart. When the leaders have the negative attitude it spreads throughout the entire organization and pulls us back towards 90's style product silos.

Advice to Management

Don't panic in January and blow up all of our plans, our customers will reward our hard work and great product and vote with their dollars... it's just later and later each year.

Put a 6 month moratorium on riffs and major re-orgs, give people a chance to catch their breath else we will loose a lot of our top talent as the job market recovers.

When you catch another leader being negative or attacking others, gently call them out on it, laugh it off, and remember we're all on the same team and want to do well. Simply being NICE will heal some of the minor wounds we've experienced in consumer group.