Intuit - Intuit is THE BEST place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

"Intuit is THE BEST place to work!"

Current Employee - Support Team Lead, Technical Support Team in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Support Team Lead, Technical Support Team in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Intuit took a chance and allowed an administrative assistant with 20 yrs. experience to become a technical support engineer, which was my secret dream job. They tought me what I needed to know and I came to the table with the coachable skills and an extra set of useful skills that have both propelled me to become a Support Team Lead in just 3 short years. I am only limited by my willingness to learn and be proactive. The leadership is outstanding and my team, Quicken Health Group, is the best I have ever worked for because we take chances, think outside the box and are encouraged to help others on our team even if it is not in our normal job description. This mindset has allowed us to be nimble and make changes/course corrections quickly. We embrace change instead of fearing or dreading it. Our team helped to pilot the new way of doing support at Intuit (email only with selective callbacks) I am empowered in my current position to call my customers when I feel it is necessary.This has allowed me to do my job to the best of my ability. Even though I am on the technical support part of the team, we truly are valued by the product management, marketing, engineering and QA parts of the team. Our opinions are not only valued, but sought out by the rest of our teammates. We have even been able to influence product design by offering our real world customer experience.And I can work from home, which really helps in this gas crisis environment in which we live. Intuit cares about me as a person because they offer so many work/life balance options such as Weight Watchers, pilates, etc. onsite, as well as, daycare partial-reimbursement, gym membership $350 reimbursement and $5000/yr tuition reimbursement for career relevent education.This is THE BEST job that I have ever had in my life!

Cons

If you don't handle change well, then you don't want to work here. A reorganization can happen any day of the week at the drop of a hat. I had 3 bosses in one year last year. There is a bit of corporate bureaucracy, so if you don't like that, then you don't want to work here. Not all teams are like mine, but that is in the process of changing since we have our new CEO, Brad Smith. So my experience may not be your experience.

Advice to Management

Embrace Brad's new company mindsets and help to share best practices and brake down the silo walls between different teams and business units. We need to be one Intuit and that includes embracing our global partners. We do have the need for speed and we need to embrace that. Brad's "speed wobble" analogy was fantastic and well-articulated how moving faster actually helps you get where you are going, even if you are not comfortable with the pace at first.Please improve the communication options for remote employees. Too often things work well in Mountain View because folks are there and remote employees lose out because the technology limits the communication and interaction. A most recent example is the Design 4 Delight forum presentation.

Other Employee Reviews for Intuit

1. "Lots of Positives, but the Company Needs to Adapt to Changing Times"

Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Intuit puts its people at the front of its management approach -- leaders truly care about developing employees and enabling them to deliver results. The people at all levels are top-notch and are great to work with, and one is constantly learning from peers. The company is fanatical about understanding customers and serving them well – and it is generally a lot of fun to be associated with products and services with millions of customers who are generally big 'promoters'!

Cons

The company hasn't kept up with the technological shifts to web and mobile and is furiously trying to become an innovator again in this new game. However, it's a big challenge for the company where time is measured in annual releases to move fast enough to compete in this landscape. The market for the flagship products is maturing, growth is slowing and opportunities to advance are becoming more limited.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to "Just Do It" ... cut meetings (operating reviews and other 'overhead') and invest more in frontline employees who can truly move things forward.

"A company stuck in the 90s searching for a future."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Very good compensation package (salary and bonus)
    Great benefits: outstanding health, dental and vision plans. 401k matching plan.
    3 weeks vacation after one year of service.
    Good reward system for specific achievements (spotlight awards at manager's discretion)
    Very nice campus: new buildings, great cafeteria, coffee shop, workout room and game room.
    Nice perks: wine and beer tastings on Fridays, company events
    No one works more than 40 hours a week (unless they want to).

Cons

A company stuck in the 90s searching for a future. Upper management continuosly talks about turning Intuit into a growth stock but cannot articulate a growth strategy beyond vague comparisons to tech leaders like Google, Apple and Facebook at every company event. While it is always good to look upwards for inspiration, none of the companies mentioned have anything in common with INTU.

Intuit is old school and has not mastered the web. Each new offering takes forever to be developed and marketed squandering opportunities again and again. Besides a few clumsy attempts and some noise regarding growth curves and inflection points, there is still no credible business strategy to offer profitable services in mobile platforms.

Corporate speak is pervasive. The company boasts a multi page glossary on its intranet of all the bizarre terms that are unique to Intuit and their meaning, and the list keeps growing. There are also innumerable management practices that are tied to a culture that pursues style instead of substance. It is more important to be know as a "team player" that talks the talk about values and leadership and parrots dilbert-like slogans instead of producing solid achievements.

There is also a lot of waste like at most large companies. This manifests itself in the pursuit of pet projects that add no value to the bottom line (for example the jingle generator) and are very costly.

While the company claims to treat the employees respectfully, it has not hesitated in laying off hundreds of people including highly senior individuals that will walk out the door with large chunks of the company's corporate memory. The layoffs have been largely sold as a move to bring fresh blood into Intuit but its credibility is low since the layoffs have not been followed by an organized strategic plan that will drive growth from new markets. No concerted effort was made to retrain, or retarget the people affected by the layoff. The layoffs came out on the same month when the huge upper management bonuses were issued. The rational for those inflated bonuses completely escape me.

A lot of people work in silos and do not take responsibility for things outside their direct sphere of action. Things that should be relatively simple are often delays by multiple days because everyone is passing the buck.

The company, to its credit, has attempted to establish internal innovation forums where employees can submit ideas. However, there does not seem to be any kind of filtering of those ideas. The end result is that all kinds of things get equal attention (a new application to "poke" your friends in Facebook with environmental advice) and very few, if any, represent ideas that will generate new business opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about your goals. You cannot expect grow a multi-billion dollar company at 20% YOY without a credible strategy and some world-class execution. If you want to compare yourself to Apple, you need to realize that AAPL makes money on every product and service that they release and that they create and grow entire markets while maintaining the tie-ins to existing products and services to deliver new business. Also, their execution is generally excellent and that is not just about the "brand".

You are not Google or Facebook. You are not in the business of becoming hip or cool. You command a solid multi-billion dollar business that is quite profitable although most of your income comes once a year. At the same time, the business is largely a fairly conservative because it deals with people's money and personal information. The most logical thing to do is to leverage the existing businesses to provide services that will enable people to use their money, make decisions, borrow, invest, get financial advice, budget, with greater ease and mobility. You will need to partner with a lot of other companies -- you cannot develop all the pieces in house. You only have one chance to do it since all the credit card companies and all the banks are hot on your heels or are ahead of you already.

It is your market to lose.