Intuit - Intuit is great, but it all depends on your workgroup.. some good... some are a nightmare | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Intuit

"Intuit is great, but it all depends on your workgroup.. some good... some are a nightmare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are very good people working at Intuit. Many have a great attitude and really want to be the best they can be. The compensation and benefits are fair and quite competitive. This applies to the two sites I am most familiar with: San Diego and Mountain View. Employees at all levels are exposed to lots of great ideas like customer driven innovation and the leadership model (i.e. "What's Important, How are we Doing, Priorities to Improve" Lots of great stuff that will help you be more competitive in your next job.

As far the work environment, the new San Diego campus is one of the best in the industry and truly resembles the workplace of the future. incredible food in the cafe, great workout facility, and just a beautiful place, inside and out. It's hard to walk outside in a sunny day and not have a big smile on your face, looking at 40-foot Palm trees that are perfectly manicured.

Cons

Leadership, Leadership, Leadership... Almost every 24 months, it seems that Intuit will do a full "oil change" of the entire leadership team. I have seen this happen in the Consumer Tax Group (CTG), Intuit IT (IIT). What this means is that VPs, Directors and even a few CIOs are replaced by a new leadership team...

In my opinion, this hurts the organizations (employees, customers and shareholders)... new leaders spend the next 6 months learning about what has been happening and then begin to put their "fingerprint" on their department. By the time a new "strategy" is in place, the rumors begin... the leader starts to lose credibility, and then one day, he or she is gone, with the usual email that starts with "It is with mixed emotion that so-and so is leaving Intuit to pursue X."

Then the cycle begins again. This time we are "assured" that we got it right and hired the right leaders... Then we read the new announcement and begin to wonder if this person knows what they just signed-up for. The honeymoon lasts 3-6 months before the new leader realizes the situation.

It is disappointing to observe this at such a great company that believes "Integrity without compromise" is the # 1 value. Yet somehow, the senior leaders never appear to be accountable for hiring so many "bad managers." This is where the logic begins to breakdown for me. If the leaders we are firing are truly "bad managers," then we don't know how to hire great leaders ( a big gap!). If they are really not bad managers, then we have a problem with retaining good talent and don't quite know how to deal with people who are "different" than us. Either way, the CEO and SVPs need to take more ownership of this, rather than blame the outgoing leader... Again, for me, this is an issue if integrity... at best it shows a lack of competence and maturity of our most senior leaders.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything you hear from the "official sources" This means HR folks, your direct reports, and other "thought leaders." Most, if not all of the time, they are operating from an agenda and trying to protect their own interests. Which does not always mean they are the same interests of the corporation. Spend time with front line and listen to what they have to say... They really are not as naive as many think they are. Just because we look like we can be fooled by fancy slides and new buzz-words and rhetoric, it does not mean that we are.

I am disappointed that we are starting to lay people off. Not sure if this is the last round or the beginning of an annual process. I understand that we are a for-profit company, but I still think if we really valued the people, we would have found other ways to transform, rather than putting our colleagues on the street in a dark time in the economy.

We should stop the annual employee survey... It has lost it's meaning and relevance.

Other Employee Reviews for Intuit

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

The benefits are comprehensive. The salaries are competitive, but the total package is great. Our health plan options are second to none, we have a nice 401k plan. Our bonuses and stock plans are very nice as well. Generally the people here are easy to work with.

The company is fair. Employees are encouraged to take advantage of volunteering around the community and spending time with their families.

Cons

Some decisions and projects are over managed by too many people that do not understand the environment well enough to offer insightful help.

Advice to Management

Focus your efforts on removing barriers for teams to execute. If you want to get into the weeds, be willing to learn from the teams before offering solutions to problems that do not exist.

2. "Stop talking.. start doing"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Exposure to senior management
    Ability to innovate
    Opportunities to be involved with things outside normal work

Cons

Move slowly
    Lots of "decisions" making through upper management

Advice to Management

Stop talking and start doing