Iowa State University - Decent place to be a graduate student | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Iowa State University

"Decent place to be a graduate student"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ames, IA
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Ames, IA

I have been working at Iowa State University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a small department with a generally cohesive/ supportive atmosphere (though I hear this is not always the case in larger departments); Decent pay given the cost of living in Ames, IA; Far less pretentious than many other universities

Cons

Pretty culturally homogenous; Definitely on the politically "red" side of the spectrum (some may consider this a pro)

Advice to Management

Reduce administrative waste and pass on the savings to under-supported departments that are doing great work with embarassingly little support

Other Employee Reviews for Iowa State University

1. "Great school if you can manage the location"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Ames, IA

I worked at Iowa State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally friendly staff and faculty, eager students, decent resources for a land-grant school.

Cons

Work-life balance isn't great, students tend to feel a bit entitled, not easy to recruit top graduate students, there's not much going on in Ames.

Advice to Management

In my situation I found few good collaborative activities despite the lip service. Way too much paper pushing for faculty. The downturn of '08 diminished staff to dangerously low levels.

2. "Satisfied with my position."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ames, IA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ames, IA

I have been working at Iowa State University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is acceptable. You get to collaborate with people in different fields outside of your expertise. Acceptable pay and good benefits.

Cons

As a post-doc, you are really treated as neither a student nor faculty/staff. You are somewhere in between. You are still given student health insurance and use student health. Also you are required to pay some student fees. However, you are given retirement benefits that you don't receive as a student. You can purchase faculty/staff parking as well which has better locations than student parking but at an additional cost.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if post-docs would be treated entirely as staff and none of this in between crap that we have to deal with.