Iron Mountain Inc - OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Iron Mountain Inc

"OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Royersford, PA
Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Royersford, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

Cons

The organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

Advice to Management

The organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Iron Mountain Inc

"Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons

- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Advice to Management

Iron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

"Ever changing"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Lots of opportunities (non-manager) to be a part of the changes that will make Iron Mountain the international company (Bill Meaney and BOD) is designing. Very modern approach to new technology.

Cons

Iron Mountain is professionally recognized for its fast past company restructure(s) and new technology(ies) rolled out. Rollouts have not allow time and resources for accuracy audit, corrective enhancements and knowledge dissemination. VP, Manager and field employees are without knowledge or support as they navigate these changes. And NO, a “How to” is not adequate support in the field.
    Iron Mountain (and investors) is still betting on its REIT conversion, regardless the US company continues to move its structure and resources internationally.