Island Hospitality - fun but long hours | Glassdoor

"fun but long hours"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Director of Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun group of people!!!!! loved the job itself and doing sales. corporate was fun and communicated well with management at the hotels.

Cons

they expect LONG hours! was working maybe 55 hour work weeks, some weeks longer. offered vacation benefits, but you could only use it during certain times of the year - and you wern't allowed to if your hotel wasn't successful. mostly i just didn't enjoy the long hours. no work life balance.

Advice to Management

efficient employees can finish their job in a 40 hour work week! more of a work life balance is needed. LOVED everyone at corporate!

Other Employee Reviews for Island Hospitality

"Forewarned is Forearmed -: Island hospitality (and parent company) is in bankruptcy. Avoid this company like plague."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

Pros

People are nice to work with. Teamwork is great here. The place is well kept. But the company sucks. Upper management is full of greedy people, selfish, characterless people like those that brough the financial crisis, the crash of banking industry and crash of housing markets. Their kind are also managing this company.

Cons

There are absolutely no pay raises, no bonsuses for last 2 years. This company filled chapter 11 in September or August of 2010. They do not promote from within. If you are seeking a longterm career this not the place to be. High turnover place here.

Advice to Management

So this is for the deaf ears of management. How about a raise? a bonus? Is there anything, really anything you have to offer to your employees to keep them motivated? anything to make them look forward to come to work? I would like the management to answer this question-: for how long should any employee in any company work at the same pay? Everyone can see how much money the hotel is making. Employees have access to the revenue reports and we can see that your hotels are making more money so why are you not giving them raises? Never again, never -ever again will I work for such a company again. Next place I go to I will interview them just as much they interview me and find out if they treat their employees fairly? Do the share the profits or are greedy, selfish and not give raises. Lesson well learned- research your potential company thoroughly.

2. "Depends on your GM"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Definitely learned a lot about business and management. Really depends on who you are working under. The right GM can really help you grow as a person and a member of the business community, which my first GM did. After him, though, it went downhill pretty fast.

Cons

Employees are undervalued by the company as a whole (not reflective of most managers). Even when covering for another department/manager, saving the company 8-10k a month, for 9 months, no incentives provided, and then to also get looked over to move up, twice.

Advice to Management

When an employee saves you 50-100k in less than a year, doing their job and what would be their supervisors (GM's) job, throw them a bone. That would have kept me on board instead of being headhunted and going elsewhere. Especially when they work upwards of 70 days straight, anywhere from 12-14 hours a day.