Island Hospitality - If you work hard...you are rewarded! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Island Hospitality

"If you work hard...you are rewarded!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales
Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked with the company for over 8 years. (that is a lifetime in the hotel industry) In my first year I quietly did my job and had little interaction with anyone except the on property associates. After being recognized for my talents by a regional, I quickly became an important figure in my region. I was able to work outside my individual hotel and helped train new sales associates. My dedication to the company flourished when they created a position for me in my 3rd year with the company. I have been able to expand my knowledge with additional trainings and projects that I normally would not be able to do with any other company.
YES, you have to work hard to be successful with Island. They do not keep slackers. I noticed many previous comments about turnover. That is standard in this industry and maybe more so with Island because they expect the best. If you are not going to give 100%, don't bother sending them your resume. You will work hard...and you will be promoted if you have the talent and drive.

Cons

Expanding quickly and with that always comes growing pains.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the integrity of the company strong! Communication can always improve.

Other Employee Reviews for Island Hospitality

1. "Loved it and Miss It!"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Island is fun, detailed and organized. They have systems in place to be successful. The bonus structure is one of the better I have seen. They also have training programs in place to help you in your journey upwards with the company.

Cons

They don't have a hotel in the Cincinnati Area.

Advice to Management

I loved working for you. I am not because I moved away and you don't have any hotels near me. :( I have seen first hand the support you give your employees. You Rock!

"There's potential"

I worked at Island Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance benefits are decent.

Associates who leave IH as very well-versed in their market & reports.

One of the BEST, most successful elements is their cross-hotel bonus program, open to all associates (but utilized most frequently by sales). Anyone who refers a client to a sister property is given a 10% bonus from the business leads that actualize. Other franchise companies have similar bonus programs, but Island's I-Lead program is particularly well-run. It is promoted from key players in corporate office, followed up on for payment in a timely manner, and easy to process on the property level. The program results in continued interaction among all the hotel reps in their portfolios, cross-brand product training, and company loyalty on the part of associates & paying customers. Associates felt they actively contributed to the company's success through the measurable commission payments & by the thank you notes accompanying their bonus, which makes them want to continue the referrals. This was the only area in which employees felt appreciated by the corporate office.

Cons

These reviews show employees feel the company leads primarily by fear versus encouragement. The execs do not make successful attempts to control their tempers & are moody at best, vicious at worst.

When service scores are low, managers are expected to put in 6-7 day work weeks and 10-12 hour days (not to mention give up their vacation time), which makes the quality of leadership presence tired, resentful, and impatient - which does not promote an environment that leads to better scores or return business. Hourly employees learn professional advancement is more dangerous than playing small.

The fear of being fired without warning/reasons is strong & results in: micromanagement, wasted time on irrelevant details, accusations/blame & loss of trust. When fear is in the workplace, people blame. My advice to prospective and current employees: back your decisions up in writing. If you're in sales & quote rates, print out the current demand, inventory, selling rates, & comp set shops at the time of the quote & keep it in the file. Inevitably, market conditions change & you will be questioned/blamed for a decision made months prior to arrival.

If you have declining market share or bad guest service scores, be prepared for detailed explanations.

Good decisions by managers were very rarely acknowledged. Because positive reinforcement was minimal and reprimands were plentiful - team members learned to do the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

This company already performs well & could take off if small things changed to alter the cultural climate. I recommend having the regionals/VPs research something positive from each of their properties prior to each call so that morale and aggressive performance accountability can be maintained jointly. If a hotel is performing poorly in an area, before blasting them, take the time to gather evidence whether they're addressing the issue, if there's been improvement, and whether the elements for the decline are within the property's control.

Announcing good behavior/scores/feedback on regional calls allows other hotels to see the strengths of each property for better cross-reference reinforcement, keeping business leads "in the family." A little praise will go a long way.

As others stated, employees felt as though they weren't trusted by the execs. Among some individuals, the distrust was valid. Not all your key players are honest people, but that's a part of every workplace & it's rarer than you'd think. Most are good people if you treat them respectfully. To eliminate distrust, my recommendation is taking charge in really knowing your team to discern the well-intentioned, capable managers from the few who are "all talk". Budget for regular, surprise visits (not quarterly, but monthly) so you see firsthand how they solve problems. Trust your gut, not your pride. Really see how hard people work for you so they keep doing it, they're inclined to promote your company, & attract talent. Something is wrong when current employees post reviews titled, "RUN!!!" to ward off job seekers.