Itron - Working at Itron | Glassdoor

"Working at Itron"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Itron is a global electric metering company. I joined in a mid-level position from a higher position with a small company. If you are interested in the field, or in smart grid, Itron is the place to be at the moment. They are expected to have a very good couple of years as many utilities spend stimulus money on products that Itron sells

Cons

Itron is not the best place to work if you're interested in software development and energy consulting. While there are good opportunities in these areas, don't be fooled by the clean tech aura that Itron has. It's fundamentally a metering company, and that's where investment and focus is at the moment. Many of the employees in the software division have been there since the acquisition of smaller companies, and they have been absorbed into the bigger organization. Sr. leadership in this area is questionable.

Advice to Management

While software is a small portion of revenue, it is what makes the grid "smart". Put appropriate resources to it, and bring in solid technical leadership with experience developing consumer and enterprise software solutions.

Other Employee Reviews for Itron

1. "Internship everything one could hope for."

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in City of Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in City of Spokane Valley, WA

Pros

Open co-workers ready to mentor and interact/discuss with you.
    Gave me multiple opportunities to learn and grow.
    Very friendly manager and events for employees make me feel appreciated.
    Excellent work environment.

Cons

Cons may depend on your own personal career needs.
    For many this may be the ideal job. I am unsure how many design engineers are employed at this location but I believe those who are enjoy their work

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for the experience.

"Itron is a paycheck, but doesn't provide much more than that."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

Pros

It's a job with a steady income. I have many friends at Itron and I enjoy their company, and they are part of the only reason why I have not yet moved on. Benefits appear to be good but its hard to compare now-a-days.

Cons

Lack of future growth. Under compensated. They claim that they can't compare with other companies less than 30 miles away. Expectations are generally higher than can be acheived in a year's time and managment usually sets very vague goals and little management to see them through.

Advice to Management

You need to wake up and start sharing the wealth with your entire work staff.