J.B. Hunt - Low pay, lots of opportunity in ICS | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for J.B. Hunt

"Low pay, lots of opportunity in ICS"

Current Employee - Transportation Manager
Current Employee - Transportation Manager

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere on brokerage floor and lots of young, talented, and energetic fellow employees to interact with. They have a lot of fun, and you routinely speak with VP's and others in day to day work.
Upward mobility for hard workers- hard work does pay off in terms of promotion, but those that manage people aren't always compensated as you might expect.

Cons

45 hour work week mandatory minimum- not a huge deal until you figure out that the worst months are work are also when your branch struggles financially and so commissions are low.
Low pay vs vendor community - JB tracks pay against industry cost of labor and not area. So if you are in Northwest Arkansas your peer group of professionals at other companies may make 30-40% more than you.

Advice to Management

Don't wait for your employees to find another job before offering a raise.

Other Employee Reviews for J.B. Hunt

"Driver, Trainer yard jockey looking to promote to management"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Frederick, MD

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fairy easy to get hired on. (most driving jobs are due to the shortage of drivers). OK Medical benefits, Average pay.

Cons

Once hired on as a driver they make it extremely difficult to do anything other then that. On the face they make it look like they promote drivers but, I haven't seen it. I have done everything they have asked me to and I am still in the same position. They run you around in endless circles telling you to call this person and them call this person only to end up right back where you started. The standard is that you must have one of the following. 3 years of experience with the company. 3 years of management experience or a 4 year degree. I have 20 years of driving experience. More than 5 years with the company in those years many service and safety awards. more then 3 years of management experience and one semester from graduating college. However, with all that I asked the area manager about a position and he told me I need to wait until I graduated in the fall. I guess all the accolades didn't mean anything compared to a math class. I believe they don't want to loose drivers even if it means to loose them to themselves. Every location has a computer for drivers to complete safety modules and change or modify anything to do with your employment there such as payroll or benefits. Now take a guess what's blocked on these JB Hunt computers? You guess it, anything to do with applying for any non driving positions. Who has ever heard of a company that blocks there own employees from applying to other position within the company. Only JB Hunt, talk about your glass ceiling.

Advice to Management

Make more of a REAL effort to promote drivers within the company. Most of us aren't as dumb as you think. In fact quite the opposite.

2. "Great career advancement and skill development"

Current Employee - IS Professional
    Current Employee - IS Professional

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management is willing to take chances on you, allow you to try new things to grow and advance. Fast career progression if you are hard working and talented

Cons

Overall, compensation is very competitive, but sometimes people are confused that a large portion of that is in the bonus system. The industry can be slowed down during hard economic times, though the diverse business units help to hedge against it.