J. C. Penney - It was okay to work temporarily but not permanent as a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"It was okay to work temporarily but not permanent as a career"

Former Employee - Window Covering Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Window Covering Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good experience working with customers. You get to learn a lot about the department that you are in. Depending on who you work with, some of the people are very enjoyable

Cons

I work in a commission based area, so sometimes the environment could be a little cold. It was also not very flexible about hours.

Advice to Management

When I started working there last year, the work environment was very relaxed and friendly. However, new policies and new management ushered that not longer made it fun. My advice to the leadership at J.C.Penney is to pick your battles. I felt that everything was nitpicked. There was too much pressure to make the sale, open credit cards and get good ratings

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"J. C. Penney is an ok place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

I worked at the home office. The culture was great. If they can fix the upper management issue it would be a great place to work.

Cons

Management was terrible. My supervisor was great, but above my supervisor was terrible. Upper management won't take your ideas. They won't listen to you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop trying to do so much more with less. You are over working your employees and burning them out.

2. "Ok if you need a job or some cash"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX

Pros

Girls get to dress up for work. Associate discount. You get to know about the newest clothes coming out. The customers can be nice and will remember you occasionally.

Cons

Management is very negative. You are always forced to sell people their credit cards. Can't leave until the store is "clean" Would be there until usually 1 to 2 am. The managers can be very rude at unnecessary times. Lots of drama. Some of the customers will yell or curse at you. Hours can be long. HORRIBLE training.

Advice to Management

Make sure the mangers are nice to employees so they feel they can approach them with out being yelled at.