J. C. Penney - Roller Coaster Ride | Glassdoor

"Roller Coaster Ride"

Pros

They are really good at working with you for availability. Being a college student while working here, I have had to have work scheduled around my classes, and they were very willing to help me out here. They are also good at giving time off (even if it's Unpaid) if you need it for any reason. Some of the managers are super friendly and very open about information sharing.

Cons

Supervisors are not fair in how they treat associates. They pick a couple who they favor, regardless of their work ethic, and they are the ones who get the hours. Also, payroll hours are not spread fairly, and seniority does not matter. I have been with my store for much longer than any other associate in my department, and I was hired as full-time. There are a couple of people who have only been with the company for maybe a year, and they are getting the full time hours, while I get 1 day a week (even though I have higher work ethic than they do). Also, depending on who the MOD is you may not get updates or announcements about events, dress code changes, etc. Every manager has a different way of handling things, and depending on the questions, you may end up with a different answer for every single manager.

Advice to Management

Be more fair to the associates. Rather than giving two people all the hours, try to divide them evenly. Also, ask for our advice more often in the way the company is run without judgment. Be more consistent, too, in how you answer questions--some managers will give one answer while another will give the complete opposite answer, and it's very difficult to know what the true answer actually is.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "A great place to work with room for advancement."

Current Employee - Door to Floor
    Current Employee - Door to Floor

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement. Great management. Amazing discount on merchandise. The work atmosphere is also very pleasant.

Cons

Work can become repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

Bring donuts in every Friday for your team during the group meetings. The employees love it.

"Good experience."

Pros

Great pay, flexible schedule, lot of different experience, career opportunities, several locations, updating locations, great management, employee discount, fast paced

Cons

low pay, horrible scheduling, minimal experience, limited career opportunities, minimal locations, outdated equipment, poor management, minimal employee discount, slow paced

Advice to Management

hire better quality managers, invest more in staff to make the company a fun place to work. stop hiring people who can barely even speak english