J. C. Penney - Horrible What DIrection The Company Has Gone | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"Horrible What DIrection The Company Has Gone"

Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Manager
Former Employee - Merchandise Execution Manager

Pros

Pay and Benefits was good.
Customers were friendly for the most part.
Many associates were loyal and hard working.
Company changed the dress code which seemed nice not having to ruin your dress clothes.

Cons

The new direction the company has created is wrong for the business. I came into work this past week and was let go along with 8 other managers. I am not adding my location because I do not want to loose what petty severance was offered to me. My position was given to an Assistant Manager because they were with the company for 15 years and they're position was being eliminated. I was with the company for 5 years and promoted to my position in February 2011. My Store Manager said that unfortunately we have to let you go due to reorganization structures yet every review I ever had was an Above Expectations. They let 2 Sales Managers, 1 Jewelry Supervisor, 1 Shoe Supervisor, 2 Sales Managers in Training, and 2 Department Managers go by eliminating their Job titles because the company wants to have a leaner management layer structure in every store. Thats right....this happened in every store across America (thats approx. 8856 Jobs with 1107 stores ) yet our new CEO has spent millions on advertising with Ellen and because of this new repricing strategy our sales have tanked 40-50% every single day. I assume the company needs to make up ground somewhere and why not terminate some of the Core Managers whom truly make a difference and have been with the company 5-25 years. Whats sad is the fact that they even terminated our Sales Managers in Training...so lets have someone up root their life and come work for a company just so they can let them go when they finish their training to be a Sales Manager. In a store volume of 24 million or more they will still have at least 1 Sales Manager, so why they could not transfer or be put in an intrim position till then is beyond me. JCPenneys is going down fast and here I thought Penneys would be the company that I could retire with, I was wrong...an unfortunately its the company that just increased unemployment by 8856 more people.

Advice to Management

Get a Clue.....Bealls and Stein Mart even tried the repricing strategy and look where it got them. They went back to their old ways and they're stores are doing great in sales. They never cut their employees to make up ground for they're mistakes. Having this staff reduction is now not only going to effect the people it was done to but your stores are going to be incredibly understaffed. Payroll is only going to get thinner because every company always wants to do more with less. Go back to your old way of doing business because this ship is going down like the Titantic and your teams are going to start jumping due to lack of leadership and morale.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Exciting in the beginning, disappointing in the end."

Pros

Very casual environment for a department store, they're very flexible with your availability. Contests all the time for good work, fun environment.

Cons

Poor about keeping their end of training and prizes. Not good about days off. No hours. No overtime. Store manager was incredibly rude to employees, badmouthing managers in front of them and their employees. Very slow environment. Concrete floors, ouch! Full-time employees only receiving 10-15 hours some months.

Advice to Management

I would assess the store managers annually for employee feedback. Provide actual full work hours for full-time employees. Attempt to bring business into the stores, deleting coupons and sales were a poor choice in my opinion.

2. "JCPenney is a good starting company because they have a very structured training program."

Current Employee - Supply Chain Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Supervisor

Pros

Structured idea program
    Flexible vacation schedule
    Good leadership training

Cons

Management does not take enough value into suggestions made
    Do not offer competitive wages

Advice to Management

I would increase pay for entry level
    I would give a fast track for engineers wanting to transition from supply chain to engineering