J. C. Penney - Company's change in leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"Company's change in leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is in the past: "Some of the reasons that the company had so many long serving associates is because of the fairness in the way it treats the associates and its customers. The change in leadership brought many changes in the organisation, while the promise to transform the company is a step in the right direction, very many experienced management associates were laid off, leaving a lack of management to help carry out this transformation.

Cons

Politics play a big part in your performance. Change in management means all your past contributions count for nothing in consideration for promotions or lay offs.

Advice to Management

Go down and listen to the working class of associates instead of listening to gatekeepers give nice and polished reports which is far from reality.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 20 percent employee discount.

Cons

Bad management, back stabbing, no benefits...

Advice to Management

Hang on to your good employees by treating them fairly instead of choosing 'quantity over quality'.

"It Was All Right Working Here...Until THE CHANGE"

Former Employee - Woman's Associate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Woman's Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they are mostly willing to work with your college schedule

Cons

having to be pressed for credit cards to open them up for customers
    doing fittingrooms
    poor management
    favoritism

Advice to Management

Honestly, it was good working here before Ron Johnson's new changes. I mean, the new ticketing system was one thing, but then came the other insane changes. I still am baffled as to what the higher execs were thinking about taking away not only the lingerie cash registers, but the women's cash registers. We have a lot of elderly women who come all the way back, and then have to walk all the way forward to the junior or misses cash registers to check out.

I was yelled at once by the execution manager for calling in sick. No, my cold wasn't serious, but I was still a bit under the weather, well 3 days later: I got laryngitis. Go figure. I know of a woman who has diabetes and has constant colds and has been reprimanded, she's like 70, though. I also was tired of being told to get credit apps. Well, how can I when you took away the cash registers, and I am just made to do fittingroom all the time? That was another issue. They would have ONE fittingroom person do ALL 4 fittingrooms upstairs (usually just staying in juniors and seasonal), and I would always have to run around cleaning out our fittingrooms in women's and sometimes lingerie. Unlike other discount stores where they have an ATTENDANT and hand out numbers to people who want to try things on, the customers at Penney's could do whatever. I would see grown women going in with 12 dresses, and just throwing them around all over the fittingrooms. Classy. Well, of course they acted like that because since there was NO cash registers there, they figured no one was really watching. I would get reprimanded for stupid things all the time by one of our former store manager and execution manager, while the people working in juniors and other departments could act and do whatever they wanted. I don't see the point to being yelled at for not asking if a customer wanted a credit card, or not acknowledging a customer when they are senile, and not even paying attention to you. Not to mention the constant drama I was being pulled into with the people in juniors, and about the lady who kept wanting credit apps...it was annoying to say the least. I also hated how they made me always close. Once again, the execution manager was ruining it by letting the computer just do it automatically, and wasn't cross checking it like our old training manager (who was great! sadly, he left) back when he tried to be fair, and didn't make people like me close 4 days in a row. The newer managers were nice, but didn't know the ethics of Penney's. It was funny how they would "watch" me in the clothes like I wasn't working. Please. Do that to the people who DON'T work!

In all, it was a laugh how shocked they were when I decided to leave. Well, I think the managers as a WHOLE need to be more self-aware.