J. C. Penney - Great First Job | Glassdoor

"Great First Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in McDonough, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in McDonough, GA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had great management and a good team of people to work with. The job was simple and relaxing, even. I loved providing great customer service.

Cons

My hours got cut to less than 10 a week after working there for a year, while new hires were being given 35+ hours a week.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Working here is okay I guess. : /"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-25% discount
    -relationship with fellow employees

Cons

-the new return policy is great for customers but i think in the long run its bad for jcp. I work at store 1122 in okc and our supervisors and store managers are really pressing us on the Icaps. I feel that
    there is already too many things that you have to ask the customer for! (Icap, Zip, email address for rewards or stupid magazines).....etc. I feel like a homeless person begging them for their credit and their money.

-The pay is not that great ,and not just at jcp with all retail jobs the pay sucks. I think that we should be paid well to deal with evil and rude customers all day.

Advice to Management

The customers get to take the survey and tell us what they think of our store and give us all types of gripes and complaints. The Associates should be able to give their feedback too. We are the ones that are in the store everyday and we see things from a point of view that the customers don't

"Expected to work more hours than originally stated"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Victor, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates were mostly nice to work with. Hours were aways guaranteed to us middle management.

Cons

Under the new Ron Johnson system, everyone is expendable even if they have been with the company for 40 years. They cut half of middle management and expected sales associates to do their work at minimum wage or just above. Pay raises are between 1.5 percent and 5 percent per year, based on qualifications. If you are a supervisor they ask you to work off the clock for free to get your job done. Also, if a manager hears an associate mention something negative about the new pricing to another associate they will be fired.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to your associates and stop trying to blame your mistakes on associates.