J. C. Penney - Restructuring is not going well at JCP. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"Restructuring is not going well at JCP."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Seeing new brands and a new vision at an older retailer is exciting. Theoretically stores are given more freedom to execute a new merchandising strategy never before used inside J.C. Penney.

Cons

New brands and pricing structure began as a good thing, but corporate cannot decide on one strategy and stick to it. Every day people go to work fearing they will be let go in the name of restructuring. Rather than encouraging people to do the best work they can, this encourages management to be a culture of fear which then cascades down to the selling floor associates. The new structure demands you give them everything you can, but they are no longer there for you.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the people you have leading the store - and the districts - not just based on prior reviews.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "Hard working, mostly innovative company"

Former Employee - Direct Inventory Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Inventory Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment. Hard working peers who also love to have fun. People honestly love what they do, which creates a great environment to work in.

Cons

Hard work isn't always rewarded and always need to be on your A-game to master the politics of the upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to promote people you believe in and not just people who have sat in a position for awhile.

"I love this job."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definatley the people and associate you get to work with! It's really a family environment. The discount really helps to. Also I got 2 raises within the 2 years working there!

Cons

Favoritism, I had a supervisor who got written up for how nasty she was but she still works there. I found myself memorizing ways to curse her out she definatley had bi-polar disease.