J. C. Penney - Restructuring is not going well at JCP. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"Restructuring is not going well at JCP."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Seeing new brands and a new vision at an older retailer is exciting. Theoretically stores are given more freedom to execute a new merchandising strategy never before used inside J.C. Penney.

Cons

New brands and pricing structure began as a good thing, but corporate cannot decide on one strategy and stick to it. Every day people go to work fearing they will be let go in the name of restructuring. Rather than encouraging people to do the best work they can, this encourages management to be a culture of fear which then cascades down to the selling floor associates. The new structure demands you give them everything you can, but they are no longer there for you.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the people you have leading the store - and the districts - not just based on prior reviews.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Bail while you can..."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great group of associates that are like family

Cons

RJ is downsizing to the point that all of the good experienced associates are gone. Not only do they have bitter feelings, but they will be vocal to their friends, relatives and those customers they have built relationships with. So the 4-6 customers JCP loses times the number of "layoffs', the company is losing millions of dollars. And RJ doesn't care.

Advice to Management

RJ needs to do his homework before he embarks in his 'transformation". JCP is not a startup but a once respected institution that he is tearing apart one step at a time. While change was needed, he has not analyzed the impact of his decisions and it will doom the company.

2. "i love working there"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

our dress code is now jeans, my coworkers, and my customers

Cons

the business has dropped off due to the fact that there is no more sales. and that they do not have commission anymore, so that leads not to have any incentives to make more sales

Advice to Management

i really think you have some kind of signing about the custom blinds also being everyday price, because i had noticed that my custom sales for blinds and draperies are terrible, and bring back some incentives like the commision, because i am a single parent working for you full time and still i had to get food stamps, just so i can fed my son, i am making 12.00 an hour and barely making to pay my bills or even my rent,