J. C. Penney - A dream or a nightmare- Depending on the day | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"A dream or a nightmare- Depending on the day"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is, honestly, not a terrible job. The hours, especially after the new policy, are very nice. I never have to worry about coming in at 3am, or working the entire night. I am a cashier, a job that fits me quite nicely. I love to talk to customers and go out of my way to delight them.

The job is quite easy to understand. The policies might change, but the computers are rather simple, and usually you are scheduled in one area regularly so you come to understand it.

Cons

The "new policy" is not as great as you might think. The news might show us as a 'casual' company- focused simply on delighting the customer. However, we are actually very focused on bureaucracy.
I nearly quit one night when I was told I would have to stay past my shift, which ended at 9:30p to perfect the floor. This does not mean picking things up off the floor or dealing with a table with items in complete disarray. This means making sure every sticker is lined up and every tag is tucked into the pile.
We have become a company that doesn't care if you like the item, or if we have your size. We care if the pile is sized and beautiful. The customers also don't care whether you call them "In-season pricing" or "sales"- because they are the same thing!
The managers are extremely overworked. This gives them absolutely no time to deal with associate concerns, which in turn leaves us frustrated and upset.
For example, I am a student. For over a month, I have attempted to have less hours so I could focus on school. The scheduling manager, who is losing her mind she is so busy, has never been able to help me. While I understand her position, it has made me very frustrated.

The company treats everyone like this is their career- that this is the work they will do for the rest of their lives. If you work here, expect to be forced to stay past your shift, clock in early, and be scheduled every day of the week.

Advice to Management

Give us more managers. Honestly that could solve many of our problems. Also, stop being so focused on appearance! Customers want friendly associates, good prices, and the ability to find their size. They will not care if every sticker is lined up or every tag tucked. If you want those things, make it the last priority.
Treat us more like people. Realize that this company is not our entire lives. We have families and we want the right to leave when are scheduled to be off, the right to actually have days off, and the freedom to actually help customers.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "Not enough hours or pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work at a slower pace
    Discounts at 20% on clothes
    Phone bill discounts and discounts on laptops
    Free food occasionally

Cons

Perfecting the appearance of clothes only to have them destroyed by customers
    Management had their picks and chooses when it came to making the schedule
    Schedule changes with little to no prior notice

Advice to Management

Listen to the Sales Associates. They have to deal with everything.

2. "First check the manager and then apply."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, nice people working there. Hourly salary depends on which department you are applying and the turnover of the employees on that department and of course on your experience.

Cons

Some managers are rude - thanks God, not many. If you find a job there you can change department and go to a nicer one. Otherwise you just have to be patient, since you need the money.

Advice to Management

Please, check how managers treat others. Ask employees if they are satisfied.