J. C. Penney - JCPenney | Glassdoor

"JCPenney"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Warehouse in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best company I ever worked for. Reason for leaving was that I moved.

Cons

Wasn't able to do 'on-the-job-training' as nuch as they said I would be able to.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly great group of co-workers to work with, especially as you are generally assigned to work in one specific department with the same people.

Cons

The management was condescending and rarely present if he was ever needed. Because of such regular absence, newer employees were not given the same opportunities as "veteran" employees when it came to asking for and receiving any requested schedule changes or hours. It also allowed uncomfortable "cliques" to form on the floor during scheduled shifts as veteran employees lacking accountability to such non-existent managers would take extended breaks or leave the department to talk to a fellow co-worker at the expense of co-workers with less time on staff.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge every employee as a valued member of the team and you'll find an increase in both overall morale as well as how much the entire store benefits from employees who are willing to work together as equals instead of by rank.

2. "I would go back in a heart beat"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney (Less than a year)

Pros

By the second day I knew the entire department, was able to help any customer, knew the products, and was very well adapted to the workplace. My coworkers were very friendly as were my supervisors, one of which rewarded me for all of my hard work. They recognize when you're going above and beyond and they speak highly about it. My supervisor spoke about me, in front of me, during a group meeting and I was very pleased about it. I was not suppose to receive register training because my specific job duties did not require me to be on the register, but he also trained me and allowed me to do several customer transactions. I felt good knowing that he was putting trust in me. I only wish that they had kept me on full time, rather than just being seasonal. I was told that I'm a rehireable and was told that I can return when they do permanent hiring.

Cons

There was this one manager who never seemed to get off of any one's back, not surprised that no one liked her. There was almost no training provided, we basically watched videos and then was walked up to the floor and thrown into different sections. I couldn't even find the elevator during my first day of work and everyone kept directing me toward the wrong direction.

Advice to Management

Personally, I think they should get rid of a certain manager. Working became difficult when she was constantly on my back, she was yelling at me to help a customer while I was already with a customer, wanted me to help customers, fold, recover, put back items and help 10 different customers at the same time. I understand a standard is need to keep the environment on tip top shape, however, I am only human, my awesome will only be able to stretch so far, I can't be in 10 places at one time