J. C. Penney - I loved working for this company until they changed. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"I loved working for this company until they changed."

Former Employee - Sales Manager
Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No Pros any more as the company has changed.

Cons

The company has changed and no longer cares for it's associates. It's all about profits for the stock holders. Staff has been cut and service is poor because of it. Those who are left are over worked and show it in the attitues.

Advice to Management

Time to reorganize...again!

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Like Rome, all empires eventually fall."

Current Employee - Sephora Sales
    Current Employee - Sephora Sales

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great (most of them anyway). Misery loves company.
    The 25% discount.

Cons

I work at the Sephora inside JCP and we have to ask EVERY client; 1. "are you a beauty insider? Would you like to sign up for one? 2.We have an event next weekend, can I sign you up?(Sephora holds events almost every weekend. 3. Do you have a JCP credit card? would you like to sign up for one? 4. It says you're eligible for the jcp rewards points, would you like to sign up for that too? OH and #5. for the love of God, can you please take our survey!" It's is terrible and makes me want to run and hide when people are at the register. Ughh, how annoying it is to have to ask all that. I can only imagine being on the receiving end of the interrogation.
    Managers are constantly threatening cutting hours because we can't make last years figures, however they continue to hire more people. WOW!
    Loved the company when I first started and with all eyes on the company, I saw for myself what was happening and is continuing to happen. It's very sad.

Advice to Management

Look, last years figures and this years figures are not going to compare when the company is going through major reorganization. A reorganization by a leader whose initiative was to cut titles, jobs & hours while expecting profits and "likability" to rise.
    As other commenters have said...please stop changing the rules every week and getting mad because we haven't been told about the 'new' rule yet, or can't keep straight which have changed or not.

2. "lots of work to get ahead, promotions hard to come. Not based necessarily on performance, about who you know and impress"

Pros

opportunity to relocate, most of the team members are friendly

Cons

long hours, pay isn't always "equal" for jobs that are being performed. Haven't had a raise in a couple of years, other than a cost of living increase for a relocation. Even though it was a bigger store and more people to manage, and in a state of disaster upon my arrival from the previous person who was terminated.

Advice to Management

work life balance, non-existent if you want to see a promotion. home office team is out of touch with the realities of actually working in a store on a day to day basis. Take a look at the attendance policy, far to lenient.