J. C. Penney - JCP was once a pleasant place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"JCP was once a pleasant place to work."

Current Employee - Specialist in Burlington, NC
Current Employee - Specialist in Burlington, NC

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 25% employee discount is great, and can be used on sale or clearance merchandise. We can also use store coupons. The occasional 30-35% off days are also a good perk.

Cons

The pay is lousy--no raises this year. All sales associates have been cut to part-time so we will lose our insurance benefits. Right now our hours have been cut back to less than 14 hours per week. This is not enough to cover my insurance payments, so my next several checks will probably be $0.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring new employees and cutting the hours of experienced employees. Morale is terrible. When you cut a store budget on a Friday the store manager has only Friday and Saturday to cut hours. This means calling associates before their shift to tell them not to come to work today and tomorrow. If you want good customer service scores you will not get them with no employees on the sales floor to assist customers. I understand that Ron Johnson spent way too much money remodeling our stores, but the old customers need assistance now more than ever. There are sections of the store that they are not finding, and I have sold many of the kitchen gadgets, or at least gotten customers to put them on their Christmas list. Don't forget the excellent customer service for which we were known.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "disappointing career"

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

doing a job I enjoy with integrity & dedication

Cons

working for a company for almost a decade & having benefits acquired & a salary level all decreased or lost
    confusion & changes in management/leaders with lack of associate help to have appropriate customer service, in all the transformation customer service is lost & complaints are constant with having to give apologies all day long

2. "great place to work and shop!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toledo, OH

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good discount and great associates to work with

Cons

retail hours are hard on families

Advice to Management

everyone is doing their best.