J. C. Penney - JCP was once a pleasant place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"JCP was once a pleasant place to work."

Current Employee - Specialist in Burlington, NC
Current Employee - Specialist in Burlington, NC

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 25% employee discount is great, and can be used on sale or clearance merchandise. We can also use store coupons. The occasional 30-35% off days are also a good perk.

Cons

The pay is lousy--no raises this year. All sales associates have been cut to part-time so we will lose our insurance benefits. Right now our hours have been cut back to less than 14 hours per week. This is not enough to cover my insurance payments, so my next several checks will probably be $0.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring new employees and cutting the hours of experienced employees. Morale is terrible. When you cut a store budget on a Friday the store manager has only Friday and Saturday to cut hours. This means calling associates before their shift to tell them not to come to work today and tomorrow. If you want good customer service scores you will not get them with no employees on the sales floor to assist customers. I understand that Ron Johnson spent way too much money remodeling our stores, but the old customers need assistance now more than ever. There are sections of the store that they are not finding, and I have sold many of the kitchen gadgets, or at least gotten customers to put them on their Christmas list. Don't forget the excellent customer service for which we were known.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "flawed management team, very disorganized"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the time they will give you steady hours

Cons

The manager team is very unprofessional, and demeans associates in from of coworkers and customers. The managers do not have ideal communication pertaining to their employees, which creates scheduling issues such as having your shift changed without being notified within 24 hours of your previous scheduled shift. There is little opportunity to move up, with the high volume of employees but limited amount of managers it leads to favoritism when an opportunity to move up arises. In conclusion, there is little consideration for the balance of work and person life. There is minimal consideration for an employees commitments such as school or children.

Advice to Management

It would be extremely beneficial to the company if managers would give promotions based on job performance, personal relationships should not be a factor in the work place.

"Disappointed with management when Ron Johnson came on board."

Current Employee - Assistant Art Director in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Art Director in Plano, TX

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the work and the co-workers.

Cons

Laid off pretty much anyone over 40, and some that were dedicated employees for over 20 years.