J. C. Penney - It's had its ups and downs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"It's had its ups and downs"

Current Employee - Support Specialist
Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are flexible work hours

Cons

no pay increases for years at a time. lack of communication to the sales associates on major changes. most seem to be communicated more as gossip than as formal memos

Advice to Management

communicate down the ladder. the associates on the sales floor ARE the company to the customers. Train, empower, appreciate. give them the information they need to provide the most excellent customer service.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Carson, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You develop great skills and attributes. I have developed customer service skills greatly. I have experience handling currency. I also worked in the stockrooms gathering even more skills. The environment was great. It was more so a family like environment than anything else. I would certainly recommend this job for those 18-21 Years old. It is a great first job. A second, NO!

Cons

I have been with the company almost 4 years and I only achieved $1.32 more an hour than my starting pay of 8. As with any job working with the public, it can get stressful at times. Also, since leaving the company, the environment has changed a great deal. Keeping up with old co-workers, it is no longer a family type environment. It's more so, get in, do your job, get out. Also, the schedule is up and down and sideways (Not a set schedule). Again, this is more so a JOB than a Career. If you are over 21 years old and not going to school, you can find full time employment with a set schedule elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Bring that family type environment back! Have your employee's backs!

"Average retail experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Temp Sales Associate in Central Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Temp Sales Associate in Central Valley, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as Seasonal Temp. with the possibility of a "full time" position.
    30 hours per week. Shift varied between morning, mid and closing. Weekdays, always weekends and holidays.
    A place to work for a student, extra income or retired person.
    They give you a 25% discount the day of hire.

Cons

Training is very basic. You do training modules on a computer with simulated POS exercises. Takes about 1 1/2 -2 hours. Once completed you're put out on the floor an away you go.
    It is mandatory that you obtain a minimum of four Instant Credit Applications ( ICAPs ) every month.
    Their choice of which temp associates they retain is based on how many "ICAPs" (instant credit applications) they process.
    I worked with a temp who showed an hour late for work a couple times. 30 minutes late a couple of times. Took long breaks. Did a lot of standing around talking. ( Loss prevention called to a register an told him an a group other associates to disperse because they saw them on camera - too many people for too long ). Showed up for work Thanksgiving day after drinking all day still buzzed. Worked in the mens dept, but did not know how to tie a tie and never learned or wore one.
    I only bring this up because this person was retained as full time associate because of his ICAP count.
    From what I heard. ICAPs matter the most over anything. Customer service, merchandise knowledge take a back seat to ICAP.
    Every morning meeting sales goals are presented with ICAP numbers the main topic.
    So basically JCP associates are credit sales first.

Advice to Management

Management is no different than any other management.