J. C. Penney - Transition employment | Glassdoor

"Transition employment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the most of the people. Overall management was flexible and family friendly. If you worked hard you were able to work as much as possible. I did learn some marketing and retail concepts. Most employees did share product knowledge in order to service customers. Some employees were great team players at the JCP I worked at.

Cons

Sometimes management didn't seem to care or do much about employees who didn't perform their jobs. On many occasions the same people just wandered around doing everything they could not to work. Other associates had to work harder and longer to accommodate the stores need for recovery and stocking. I worked there for nearly a year and never got a review or a raise. Many associates who worked there for many years rarely were compensated for their hard work while lazy associates didn't show up or call and where able to do that over and over before terminated. Or just performed poorly overall. Recently I had heard from a friend that an associate was let go after stealing. This person was demanding and was given what was seen as preferential treatment. Others had been let go for far less serious issues, like family emergencies. I worked many shifts covering for slackers and worked harder and longer to close while these associates where not reprimanded or let go.

Advice to Management

I had spoken with other people who worked retail and told me that working good employees to cover for others, few raises and horrible hours were common. Instead of having some employees walking around boasting about how they don't work weekends....and having others work constant weekends with no raises or benefits creates low moral. I understand micromanaging the poor employees is hard, but sometimes it would be good to take a look at how much others have to work to compensate for hung over lazy underachievers who get paid the same as someone killing themselves for JCP.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "I was in the "fine jewlery" department as a temorary seasonal hire and wasn't impressed with the way they ran things."

Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were very nice and I enjoyed working with the customers

Cons

the shifts were all over the place and the permanant employees were always talking about how they we getting less and less hours. The manager was more concered about me selling their "care plans" than actually selling jewlery. Plus there was no training and I would be approached about my sales performance, good or bad, randomly in the middle of the store in front of employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Better training for employees and for managers on how to deal with employees

2. "Fun and close group of people, competitive compensation for the area, and an overall worthwhile occupation"

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Stillwater, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Stillwater, OK

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were generous and genuinely nice people. The wage rates were competitive and appropriate for my duties.

Cons

Corporate training was long and extensive, however the actual in-store training left a lot to be desired. I was still learning basic job responsibilities that should have been taught in the first week nearly three months after being employed there.

Advice to Management

Logistics and store music selection could use improvement. Shipments containing less than three pallets should probably be postponed, and a larger variety of music would improve working conditions.