J. C. Penney - Transition employment | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Transition employment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nashua, NH

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the most of the people. Overall management was flexible and family friendly. If you worked hard you were able to work as much as possible. I did learn some marketing and retail concepts. Most employees did share product knowledge in order to service customers. Some employees were great team players at the JCP I worked at.

Cons

Sometimes management didn't seem to care or do much about employees who didn't perform their jobs. On many occasions the same people just wandered around doing everything they could not to work. Other associates had to work harder and longer to accommodate the stores need for recovery and stocking. I worked there for nearly a year and never got a review or a raise. Many associates who worked there for many years rarely were compensated for their hard work while lazy associates didn't show up or call and where able to do that over and over before terminated. Or just performed poorly overall. Recently I had heard from a friend that an associate was let go after stealing. This person was demanding and was given what was seen as preferential treatment. Others had been let go for far less serious issues, like family emergencies. I worked many shifts covering for slackers and worked harder and longer to close while these associates where not reprimanded or let go.

Advice to Management

I had spoken with other people who worked retail and told me that working good employees to cover for others, few raises and horrible hours were common. Instead of having some employees walking around boasting about how they don't work weekends....and having others work constant weekends with no raises or benefits creates low moral. I understand micromanaging the poor employees is hard, but sometimes it would be good to take a look at how much others have to work to compensate for hung over lazy underachievers who get paid the same as someone killing themselves for JCP.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "The foundation of my career."

Current Employee - MEL
    Current Employee - MEL

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Met a lot of great people and learned many things. My 15 years at JCP have been the foundation of my career.

Cons

Each store is run differently. At my store communication tends to be a struggle at times. Consistency with supervisors is difficult because everyone approaches things differently.

Advice to Management

Get together a pricing & signing strategy ASAP! We need it desperately.

2. "No comment"

Pros

I love the discount and sales.

Cons

They don't give raises really.