J. C. Penney - So-So | Glassdoor

"So-So"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Discount, Reasonable Credit/Sales/Email goals

Cons

Old POS systems (at our small store) that were tedious and inconvenient to use.

Unreasonable break/lunch schedules; had to work 6+hr shifts with only one 10 min break left me very hungry and therefore irritable by the end of my shift.

Seemed like they played the same CD of old music over and over every day, it drove all of us (employees) crazy.

If you're into fashion this probably isn't the place for you because the clothes just aren't very fashion forward, few on-trend pieces. A lot of customers are looking to buy "mom jeans", mock turtlenecks, etc.

Advice to Management

Management was not upfront with me about scheduling/time requirements when I was I hired. I let the manager know my schedule and what I could work during my interview but after being hired was told that I had to work more or wouldn't have a job there.

Hard to respect rules when we sell mostly clothing but our dress code wasn't enforced at all. Other associates were wearing hoodies and sweatshirts to work, which I've never seen tolerated at any other retail store.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"It sucked.."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about customer service, floor sets, visuals, and how to do go backs quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Stayed late, 2-3 a.m sometimes to recover the whole store, finger space and all, just to have the merchandise crew come in early in the morning to restock and ruin most of the closing shifts hard work. Not that great a schedule for those who are still going to school or depend on others or public transportation for rides and they really could care less. Too many changes in the company, one day you have a casual look the next day has to be business casual. One day customers need to have coupons in hand, the next day they don't. Return policies are always changing, making it confusing for employees and customers. One week you'll work about 20hrs the next you'll maybe get 12 or less. Just a very unstable job.

"Management is rude and not helpful"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Vancouver, WA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

25% off discount and getting first access to clearance prices. Benefits for part time employees.

Cons

No advancement, no reviews, no raises, no training, bad management. Max pay $9.99 an hour. Negative environment.

Advice to Management

Management gives no direction and offers no training. They will never tell you what needs to be done and you are left the whole day to figure it out on your own. They are hard to find and when you do find someone in order to ask a question you will get conflicting answers depending on what day it is. Store manager was a micro manager and other managers talked down to employees like they were stupid when really it was because they were not offering the tools and resources needed for employees to do their jobs correctly. They would cut hours and schedule people 3 hour shifts, but then demand everyone have an open schedule. People were fired or forced to quit if they had a second job or went to school. No one was aloud to have a life outside of jcpenney. It brought down the morale and stores can't profit without happy employees.