J. C. Penney - So-So | Glassdoor

"So-So"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Discount, Reasonable Credit/Sales/Email goals

Cons

Old POS systems (at our small store) that were tedious and inconvenient to use.

Unreasonable break/lunch schedules; had to work 6+hr shifts with only one 10 min break left me very hungry and therefore irritable by the end of my shift.

Seemed like they played the same CD of old music over and over every day, it drove all of us (employees) crazy.

If you're into fashion this probably isn't the place for you because the clothes just aren't very fashion forward, few on-trend pieces. A lot of customers are looking to buy "mom jeans", mock turtlenecks, etc.

Advice to Management

Management was not upfront with me about scheduling/time requirements when I was I hired. I let the manager know my schedule and what I could work during my interview but after being hired was told that I had to work more or wouldn't have a job there.

Hard to respect rules when we sell mostly clothing but our dress code wasn't enforced at all. Other associates were wearing hoodies and sweatshirts to work, which I've never seen tolerated at any other retail store.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Salon Leader in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Salon Leader in Panama City, FL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment with a great company!

Cons

A little unstable since the whole Ron Johnson failed attempt at a turn around.

2. "Unrealistic expectations!"

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off and great people in the group. Steady hours (full-time) and new friends. Many locations provide employment opportunities everywhere.

Cons

Company wants great customer service, but provides minimal people to assist customers. No appraisals or wage increases over the past three years and job responsibilities increase daily. Organization has a new sets of objectives every six months.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it. Take care of the loyal folks that have endured all the changes, before adding more outside mgmt. that don't have a clue about the retail business.