J. C. Penney - Just...okay | Glassdoor

"Just...okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Huntsville, AL
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Huntsville, AL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job. Very low-key environment since most stores were closing during my time working there. Not a lot of people shopped there due to change in company leadership and the whole "coupon fiasco". So generally a pretty easy job. There were credit goals, but no penalty for not reaching them. So need to worry.

Cons

Compensation was a little low to me. We didn't really get raises. Unless you were a top performer. You could be a horrible/lazy employee, but as long as you were getting customers to sign up for credit cards nothing else matters. So the employees that did all of the work as far as maintaining the store were pretty much invisible.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reward hard-workers, even if they don't FORCE customers to get credit cards.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

1. "Unless your related to the new management , you have no chance of promotion"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, good hours for a college student. Old management was amazing they really cared for you. After the whole Ron Johnson mess and cut of managers the store went spiraling down.

Cons

New management was horrible. 65%of the new management was all related in a way. Very bias and unprofessional. Lots of gossips , supervisors dating associates , even partying with associates and managers didn't seem to care even though it was affecting sales.

Advice to Management

There are other careers that would make yours seen irrelevant. Stay humble and appreciate your employees.

2. "Fun, family, oriented environment."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have so many opportunities if you just ask and apply your self.

Cons

Not to much room for advancement. Not every does what there supposed to do so stuff doesn't get done, and then in term causes more stree on the rest of us.