J. C. Penney - overall work is easy and non-stressful | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"overall work is easy and non-stressful"

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Mount Juliet, TN
Current Employee - Retail Associate in Mount Juliet, TN

Pros

They have benefits that include paid time off which is rare these days. Also, there are many departments you can move to if you want a change.

Cons

I wish they were more competitive in overall pay rates compared to places like Macy's. I would make it a long-term career if so.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if they had programs to move up within the company. Also, we would like to use the salon if it wasn't so outrageously expensive compared to other salons in the area.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"Hate it! No money!!"

Current Employee - Salon Designer in Bessemer, AL
    Current Employee - Salon Designer in Bessemer, AL

Pros

20% off discount for employees which is great
    Flexible work hours work and life balance
    New Store clean and nice
    New equipment

Cons

7.25 an hour for salon workers. Salon Receptionist makes at least 8.00 an hour. I currently hold a master cosmetology license. Have been a Stylist for 14 years. Never made such terrible pay. My 2wk check is no more than 200 dollars. I can't pay my bills with this check.
    Salon manager stresses over you making productivity, if you don't you get a written corrective warning, you told to make at least 11dollars an hour on your productivity, when you make it, you still get a pay of 7.25 an hour. So stupid!!

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, dont make false promises to employees, treat me as well as the customers. That way i'll be more willing to try and stay with the company. Change your training from customer first to employees are important too.

2. "A Place to Get Your Foot in the Door"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

The training and certain incentives are quite acceptable, possibly even more than satisfactory. For example, new employees are taught and prepared before starting to work.

Cons

There is very limited opportunity for advancement from entry level positions. The managers do promote from within but one has to be with the company for quite some time before being promoted.

Advice to Management

Give entry level employees more of an opportunity by requiring less years of experience in order to promote. This would greatly improve moral