J. C. Penney - Fun place to work, but doesn't pay as much as other places | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

"Fun place to work, but doesn't pay as much as other places"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Idaho Falls, ID

Pros

20% off associate discount
Cool clothes
Fun to meet all types of people
Liked working in suits

Cons

work christmas holiday season. It's retail
Low pay
on feet all day

Advice to Management

Great place to work. I get tired of hearing the same music everyday though. My experience there has taught me how to deal with all types of people.

Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney

"It serves a purpose and provides some income."

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Our associates are friendly and I enjoy working with them. Maybe one or two I avoid, but that's anywhere. A very nice group with a clean and bright store.

Cons

I have been employed with JCP for some time now, and am disappointed in the lack of opportunities for advancement. While JCP believes a career consists of sideways moves with a meager rate increase, I disagree. True advancement does not mean half stepping in place, it means displaying your competence and eventually given increased responsibility to excel. JCP refuses to subsidize any LP certifications while severely limiting my work.

For unknown reasons, JCP senior management in Plano has directed all scheduled part time hours system wide to be reduced (again) immediately. We just came off a week's furlough! I understand retail is a highly competitive environment (Thanks Wal Mart!!) and restraining spending is a given. However, this mandate does not affect the full time employee at all. An unfair financial hardship has been placed on the part time employees.

I want to make it perfectly clear my comments are not a dig at my unit's management. They are good folks and are a pleasure to work with. This is not a localized decison, but one anonymously issued from the stuffed suits at Plano. Do not even think they could dig a field latrine properly, even with assistance from a Field Manual.

I challenge senior executive management to show some sack and participate in the cuts from the President on down. Display true leadership and lead by example! You want to save some money, fine. Just don't do it on the backs of part time employees, many of whom make a tad over minimum wage. Be a good leader and share in the sacrifice. Do not hide behind your mindless "Own your career" babble because that is all it is.

Yes, I do own my career and it will soon be giving notice as it is time to move on.

Advice to Management

Read the above. If you do not understand, then you are certainly more than qualified to hold the senior position you hold.

2. "Excellent sales position"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

Pros

JCP always had incentive programs going on within the store that emphasized service and not sales. Also, they would periodically have mini parties in the break room with free food and drinks.

Cons

Employees were given compensation based on how old they were and how long they had been in retail. The best employees in retail are usually the younger people because they will eventually move on to do bigger and better things, while older people in retail tend to be low achieving and not as competent.
    No benefits to associates