J. Crew - JCrew is a very customer centric company, and values their employees. | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "At the time I worked there you had on-call shifts, which could be a bit irritating" (in 80 reviews)

• "My biggest issue with being part time were the "on call" shifts" (in 78 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"JCrew is a very customer centric company, and values their employees."

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Texas City, TX
Current Employee - Associate Manager in Texas City, TX

I have been working at J. Crew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is s great work-life balance here, and they are always tying to improve both the customer and employee experience. Your ideas will be valued and you can communicate with corporate freely.

Cons

This is still a growing company and operations need a little improvement. Payroll can be tight, as with any retail company these days.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great people, tough times, & tough customers"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was quite high for retail work. My managers were all surprisingly great. I enjoyed spending time with a lot of the staff because they were genuinely great people. As a plus, employee discounts and competitions were great at rewarding associates.

Cons

There was quite a bit of pressure to reach sales goals and upsell. The retail industry is not in the best place right now so corporate employees are putting pressure on store associates to meet sales goals. Customers could also be an issue. Based off of the prices of J.Crew clothing, stores attract a certain demographic of very demanding customers. Oftentimes employees would be firing on all cylinders and the store would still have at least one customer outburst a week. Employees were also expected to set up store displays every month during odd hours (3am-10am). For people new to retail this will be a shock, but I assume that this is common practice.

Advice to Management

I don't have a solution for how to get the retail industry into a better place, but for J.Crew specifically, I believe you should focus on hiring older retail associates who are more mature and can maintain customer relations more effectively. This could help to decrease the number of outbursts in store.

2. "Good first retail job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, Good work environment and great boss/coworkers. Store is clean, and employees are encouraged to help customers personally.

Cons

Strange dress code that often results in male employees wearing ties with casual shirts. Store isn't very busy relative to other places in the mall (also a pro). Hours are sometimes unpredictable week to week.

Discover more reviews about J. Crew.