J. Crew - Sales- Associate | Glassdoor

"Sales- Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at J. Crew part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great, as a sales associate you get an hourly plus commission. You also get an amazing discount and when I mean amazing I mean AMAZING. You get 60% off new items, 50% off sales and somewhere below for the rest. Most employees are very friendly and the clothing is beautiful.

Cons

They are not flexible with hours. As a student it is hard to have this job if you are doing anything else. They expect you to work 30 hrs a week and rarely let me off when I requested. I once asked for a vacation 4 months in advance and I did not get all 3 days off. That's an easy request and they were not helpful. Honestly there is a rank for who gets off and who doesn't, they should hire more employees in order to avoid this issue. Its sad because I loved the brand and the people but as a part time associate the scheduling just isn't reasonable with this company.

Other Employee Reviews for J. Crew

1. "Simply put, there is no other employer I would rather work for."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training program is very involved. Any confident person who goes through the program will be very pleased and feel very empowered. J. Crew gives the employee a lot of autonomy in regards to customer service and there is a sense that "the store is your kingdom." The management is always eager for feedback, positive or negative and very frequently acts on that feedback.
    Performance based pay is also very nice.

Cons

The only negative is the strict visual requirements the stores must maintain. This removes much of the creative process from the employee and results is a workplace that tends to become "stale" from a visual standpoint.

Advice to Management

Best advice I could offer is to expand the Blue Martini/iPad aspect of training. It has a cumbersome interface and sales opportunities are lost because some employees just do not know how to use it very well. Also, stores in high wealth markets may benefit from suiting.

2. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

J Crew spends a lot of time training you on their suppliers, types of fabric, fit, etc. even if you're just seasonal. This type of attention to every employee really characterizes the work environment in a lot of ways. Great discount. Good hourly pay.

Cons

Not a lot of hours, at least for seasonal employees.