J. Crew - Satisfactory | Glassdoor

"Satisfactory"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at J. Crew part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers teach you excellent customer service. The orientation is very thorough and detail oriented. For the most part, everyone is friendly.

Cons

If you don't dress the part down to a T, then you probably won't last long, even if you are a hard worker. I couldn't afford to buy anything from the store, even with my employee discount. I worked there for 2 months, but they didn't keep me on. There was an employee who had only been there for a week and they chose her over me. If you want to stay on, make sure you can afford to dress the part and take the initiative to learn how to operate the cash register.

Other Employee Reviews for J. Crew

"Worst part time job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at J. Crew part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is nice, but if you shop there, you will probably spend your entire paycheck. Don't expect to be there to make money.

Cons

No benefits for part time employees
    No clear path for promotion
    They keep all employees at part time
    They give you on call shifts and expect you to come it when it's busy but cut your hours when it's slow.
    Really, who could afford to work here part time other than college students or someone who has a full time job and is doing it on the side? If it's not busy, they'll give you like 4 hours a week, they really don't care about you. Extremely poor pay, nothing better than Walmart. Essentially poverty wages, would expect more from a store that charges $200 for a sweater.
    Poor training - they do not teach you about the product. They get new product every month and just put it on the floor and expect you to know it.
    There is no commission for sales. They expect you to sell, sell, sell, but give you no recognition or incentive to do it. You are also expected to sell J. Crew credit cards, but there is no incentive to do this other than to keep the managers off your back. Half of the time they don't even verbally recognize you when you open one.

Advice to Management

I don't imagine there is much managers can do to improve the situations I described above, I think it is more a problem that corporate should fix.
    My experience with management was generally good, they were all very nice and even threw holiday parties at their houses.

"J.Crew internship"

Current Intern - Design Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Design Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at J. Crew as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Structured and planned program to teach interns about company, excellent management, great training for a real job, nurturing culture

Cons

No constructive criticism at end of program