J D Wetherspoon - Good summer job | Glassdoor
  1. "Good summer job"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Was a good summer job where you meet lots of people in a fast paced environment. Training was good with very friendly staff. Getting paid weekly is also good along with discounted food.

Cons

The pay was poor and it was difficult changing around shifts. Dealing with drunk people is hard work and can get exhausting.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, especially on bank holidays and holidays. More flexibility with shifts and improving the mystery customer set up .

J D Wetherspoon2015-08-10

"Business Manager"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

J D Wetherspoon2018-05-15

"Horrendous"

Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon for more than a year

Pros

Gained friendships. Money off food on shift. You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work. Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts. Management allow bullying to take place. Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all. Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was... lined up for me. Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down. Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management. Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even bother giving advice it's that much of a joke.

J D Wetherspoon2016-04-11

J D Wetherspoon Response

April 18, 2016Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all as a company, we agree a minimum guaranteed hours when we employ to minimise the fluctuation ...

Discover more reviews about J D Wetherspoon.