J. Paul Getty Trust - Too bad they there is no room for growth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for J. Paul Getty Trust

"Too bad they there is no room for growth"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at J. Paul Getty Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

low stress, kind people, academic environment

Cons

The president of the company was paid more than I would have made in 35 years and after 5 years I was yet to get a raise

Advice to Management

reward hard work and innovation

Other Employee Reviews for J. Paul Getty Trust

"Incompetency within Trust Accounting ; no reward for hard work; TOO MUCH POWER within HR"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at J. Paul Getty Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supposedly, every other Friday off! Not while I was there though, as I had to put in overtime and come in on my "off Fridays!"

Cons

Too much politics, spying and backstabbing. Accounting/payroll & G/L department have their share of low educated and/or incompetent members handling mid-to-high level management duties. Payroll walks around like they own the place just because they print your checks for the work YOU put in. It's few members hardly put in more than 3-4 hours of workday. Lazy slugs within Procurement department. HR polices you, and calls you in for every asinine thing. Not at all what I expected from a museum environment. The environment is diseased at its core The place doesn't nurture; instead, it suffocates you!

Advice to Management

You can't run the place like a mob organization ~ giving monetary rewards to the ones who slug away at their jobs ~ while others put in 110% and get no recognition at all.

"Poor performance in a toxic environment"

Former Employee - Middle Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Middle Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Views are good. Building is clean. Every second Friday off (although you make up for it by longer hours the other days). Lots of good people to work with.

Cons

Lots of incompetence especially among the senior management of the museum, conservation, foundation, and research institutes. professional qualifications are considered far inferior to art history education. senior management is bloated and self-serving.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of having honest outside audits and reviews of programs and organizational/ business matters. Consider a board of outsiders responsible for each institute and that has power of veto over director appointments and funding of major projects. Outside review is critical to success; without it, organizations survive with nepotism, oligarchy, and even tyranny.