JOHNLEONARD - it has been very good. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for JOHNLEONARD

"it has been very good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

John Leonard is a small business that listend. Every employee has a voice and is accomodated to hightlight his or her strengths.

Cons

Company size is the only downfall that I can come up with, but that only applies to those looking to work within a large company.

Other Employee Reviews for JOHNLEONARD

"Not the best, not the worst."

Pros

The women working in the temp department are wonderful. They regularly keep in touch with me regarding opportunities, and they're all very pleasant on the phone. They've gotten me numerous gigs ranging from one day to six months. Usually very responsive to calls and/or emails.

I also really love that they're so woman-friendly, and so much of the staff is women (And I believe it's a woman-owned business, as well).

Cons

Their pay is really, really low. Even their direct hire openings are almost always way under the average range for a position.

A personal con for me is how focused they are on finance and legal positions; two fields I have no interest in and are very difficult to interview for.

Sometimes they're not as responsive as they could be, and it's almost always when a crucial opening has shown up. I asked a consultant there to introduce me to a contact for a job I was very, very interested in and she said she would, but never got back to me, and ignored emails afterward regarding it.

I've also been pretty underwhelmed with their direct hire department. I've only been contacted by my consultant there once in over two years, and every other time we've spoken it's because I pursued him. Like the temp department, every time I found a job I was VERY interested in and asked for their help with, suddenly they were unreachable.

Advice to Management

I know you have a lot of people to keep track of, but not hearing back about something important is very frustrating and disheartening, especially when a word from a recruiter could be the extra nudge you need to get noticed.

2. "Finds jobs quickly but very low pay and very poor benefits"

I have been working at JOHNLEONARD full-time

Pros

They find you temp assignments very quickly

Cons

They pay very low ($14/hr) compared to most temping agencies (and very low for market rate as well), and even below some states' minimum wage! Also, their "benefits" are almost non-existent, especially compared to what other staffing agencies offer: for example, you don't get any paid holidays until you've worked with them for a year, and you need to work 30 hours in the week prior to the holiday in order to get paid for it (other agencies require only 6 months, and that you work the business day immediately before and after the holiday to get paid for it). This is misleading because the benefits listed on their website imply that you start off with a set number of paid holidays, and that you can earn MORE if you meet the hours threshold. You also earn only the bare minimum of sick time- only what's required by MA law (1 day for every 2 months you work full-time, roughly), and you don't get any vacation/personal days (you do get a very small 'vacation bonus' if you work enough hours in a 6 month period, but I'd rather get an actual day off). I think they do this because most people are probably only employees of JL for less than a year before they find a direct-hire position, so by having such high thresholds they don't end up having to provide much paid holiday time at all, sort of like how Walmart doesn't provide employees with full-time shifts, so that they can avoid providing benefits. I'm sure it's very profitable for JL, but it's bad optics nonetheless.

Advice to Management

If you can afford to give raises (even $.50/hour) when an employee is consistently requested, that would be great, or if you can offer a couple days worth of PTO that employees can start using within the first 6th months, it would greatly increase morale. Having such little paid sick time, and having a 3-month waiting period to use it only encourages employees to come to work when they're sick/contagious, which is bad for both the employee and their coworkers.