JR Simplot - Simplot | Glassdoor

"Simplot"

Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID
Former Employee - Systems Service Technician in Caldwell, ID

I worked at JR Simplot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Simplot offers a significant level of job security for strong contributors. Pay is competitive. Working conditions are acceptable. The people at Simplot are very friendly, and you are always made to feel welcome there.

Cons

The culture at Simplot does not seem to allow innovation, but innovation is expected by upper level management. It seems that there is a breakdown between corporate communicated standards, and what unit level management actually does. There is a definite barrier between hourly and salaried employees that seems to be somewhat influenced by the presence of the teamsters union. I was never a union employee, so I never could understand this separation. I do know that whenever I spoke up, I was basically told to sit down and shut up.

Advice to Management

Upper management would be wise to somehow get a better picture of what actually goes on at the unit level. For example, audits are viewed as necessary check the box opportunities, and when the audit is over, everything goes back to as it was before. Standard Operating Procedures are nothing more than checklists that do little or nothing to prepare the worker to perform the work in a way that is consistent. Therefore the actual details that guide the performance of the task are learned through trial and error or tribal knowledge. If on the job training is used, there is no documentation of the actual OJT event. People get signed off on their job duties, many times not really knowing what they are doing or why they are doing it.

Other Employee Reviews for JR Simplot

"12 years No regrets!!!"

Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Manager Outside US in Boise, ID

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team of people to work with...you get diverse cross-functional opportunities to grow keeping in mind your interests and aptitude. I have seen HR person can jump into Plant Mgmt and vice versa plus much more. I was personally given immense opportunities by the company both in US and Internationally to grow and move around different business functions and locations. you need to PROVE your worth first before the honeytaps are opened up by decision makers. Compensation is average for the food industry but there is great deal of stability.

Cons

Diversity is sorely lacking in the Organization. No clearly defined career path for above-average performers and thats frustrating.
     Also too soft and liberal in tackling the competition.

Advice to Management

Cumbersome systems that require lot of time and efforts to make changes happen. More flexibility & entrepreneurial spirit is required. Innovation needs to be formally recognized and rewarded at all levels of the Organization.Need more latitude in taking risks and fast decisions.Transparency in making decisions is also needed...lot of time there appears to be no logic behind some decisions being made. We need hard-nosed , ruthless negotitators and leaders to survive the competition especially outside the US.

2. "Eventful"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at JR Simplot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay for entry level employment.

Cons

great working environment for everybody