Jabian Consulting - Great place to build a career in management consulting | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jabian Consulting

"Great place to build a career in management consulting"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Jabian Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Jabian for two years now and can honestly say that I have really enjoyed the experience. Jabian has been an excellent employer, fostering a culture of continuous improvement mixed with personal growth, and a challenging yet rewarding work environment.

By far, Jabian's greatest asset is its people. Working with a group of talented individuals that are passionate about strategic problem solving and have a wealth of experience to share has been the most rewarding part of the experience for me. Bringing smart people together in a very collaborative and innovative environment has proven to be a winning model and has enabled me to grow tremendously as a professional.

Another element that I enjoy about Jabian is our idea of a "personal platform". This is the journey that every employee is encouraged to take to explore the different areas of consulting that we offer and to decide which areas they are passionate about and want to become an expert in. The idea that employees are encouraged to work in and develop their skills in areas that they are passionate about is truly refreshing and is definitely something unique about Jabian that I have not seen at other firms.

One of the other elements I most value about Jabian is the work/life balance and flexibility. Having worked for another large consulting firm prior to joining Jabian, I have seen first hand how difficult it can be to achieve a good work/life balance, which is made even tougher by the nature of consulting to travel to where our clients are. At Jabian, we are built on a local model, allowing us to work (and play) in our home communities and to be home every night with our families, something I definitely have valued.

If you're looking for a fun and challenging environment where your perspective is valued and you are encouraged to pursue your passion in technology & consulting, then Jabian might be the place for you!

Cons

Working for a small and rapidly growing firm like Jabian, naturally we are not without our challenges.

One of the things that I both love and am frustrated by at Jabian is our "small-firm" feel. While it is great to be a part of an organization that is small enough to not hampered by being overly structured or beurocratic (which in itself is very frustrating), it also sometimes means that we lack structure and rigor in the areas that we need it like documented policies, standards for technology & training, etc. While I have seen a marked improvement in this area during my tenure at Jabian, there is still much work to be done here as we continue to grow beyond just Atlanta and Dallas.

Another aspect that I both appreciate and am frustrated by is that our culture is one of extremely high-expectations. On one hand, I really do appreciate this aspect of our culture as it pushes us all to be better consultants and professionals, striving to achieve more for our clients, our community, and ourselves. However, high expectations also come at a price, both from our people and our culture, and can sometimes be limiting to our ability to make progress both on specific projects/efforts and as a firm.

These are just two examples that I have found in my career at Jabian so far, but I also feel that problems like these are inherent in a small company of our nature, and are also part of our evolution as a company.

Advice to Management

One area that we are somewhat lacking in is informal professional development, specifically around how our Executive Directors, Directors, and Senior Managers develop the people that they work to be better consultants and professionals in general. It's obvious that our leaders have a wealth of experience, but not all of our leaders at these levels are able to turn that into development opportunities for those that work with them. I think that our desire to improve is there, but our execution in this space, even with YOPD, has been lacking.

Other Employee Reviews for Jabian Consulting

"Great culture, great people, place to have a career (and no travel!)"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Jabian Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jabian has taken the good things I've always enjoyed about consulting (fun environment, opportunity to work on variety of projects / solve clients' hardest challenges), left behind the bad (feeling like a #, your career / path being dictated by "knowing the right people", knowing / seeing the hotel front-desk staff more than you know your friends / family) and added in some things that are truly unique (opportunities to pursue your passions and be entrepreneurial, desire to truly make your clients better than they were before- through guaranteeing project success but also developing deep Trusted Advisor relationships and caring about your clients as people, and a culture where people are cared for like family and employees are truly valued.)

I really value the experience of working at Jabian- whether it's a client project, an internal initiative, or volunteering in the community, I know I'm going to enjoy the people that I interact with, I'm going to be challenged to learn and to grow, and I know that I'm going to truly make a difference in someone's life.

Something that is very important to me personally is that as a woman (without kids yet), I get to work with a number of Jabian women executives that have both a successful career and a successful family life. With Jabian, I know that I won't have to sacrifice my career when I decide to start a family, which is something I didn't see as being possible when I was part of the Big4.

Cons

This is a place where you are truly in the driver's seat for your career and you can go as fast or as slow as you'd like. As a result, it is easy to overcommit (because there's so many different / fun things to get involved with) so it takes a lot of self-discipline to maintain balance between professional and personal life.

As a small firm, there is less structure / hierarchy in place, and we often work in smaller teams, so people need to be self-starters and comfortable with more ambiguity. This is a big adjustment coming from larger firms where you have 30+ consultants working on a single engagemement and pretty much everyone has someone that they're managing and being managed by.

When I joined Jabian, I didn't experience the significant bump in base salary that I may have gotten if I'd gone to another Big4 firm. However, I can say that the total compensation package (salary, annual bonus, benefits, profit sharing) plus the other sometimes less tangible perks (access to great mentors, opportunities to grow and get involved, company-wide gatherings- both business and social- including an AMAZING holiday party, etc.) blows any other company out of the water and contributes to why I am excited to come to work every day.

Advice to Management

As we grow beyond Atlanta and Dallas, it is going to be very important that we pay close attention to maintaining the culture that is what makes Jabian unique in the marketplace- both for our employees and for our clients. This is going to be key to us being successful in the future.

"Refreshing place to work in the industry"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Jabian Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, intelligent and positive people to work with
    Locally based and involved
    Well rounded people who excel in career and life

Cons

Salaries are lower than large consulting firms
    Traffic in Perimeter area
    Doesn't have the mature infrastructure of a large, tenured organization

Advice to Management

Continue to realistically look at what is scaleable as Jabian grows, while maintaining the good of the culture