Jackson National Life - Great learning experience for an intern | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jackson National Life

"Great learning experience for an intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Lansing, MI
Former Intern - Intern in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is fantastic, they also lodge you if you live far away. Very hands-off approach. Great for innovation and development.

Cons

A lot of overhead in terms of getting access to resources to do your job. You need to be assertive.

Other Employee Reviews for Jackson National Life

"Looks good from the Outside, but Watch Out!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time

Pros

Beautiful building; good salary; good benefits. Met some really wonderful people who are trying to make a difference.

Cons

Operations is run by a pack of women who all went to high school together. They support and promote one another and have formed a 'unit' that's nearly impossible to penetrate. The problem is that most of them have very little education and have never worked for any other company. They are not exceptional in any way, and none of them would hold similar positions in any other company. They have every single promotion and transfer in and out of their department mapped out years in advance, and have brought in and seen to it that their family and friends are promoted (regardless of talent, skill, or experience) so that they can act as spies to identify any dissenters.

If they don't approve of you, you will be run out of the company (if you work in their area) or your credentials will be very effectively attacked (if you work in another area). They are so successful at ruining the reputation of people, that other departments are afraid of them.

Advice to Management

There's nothing to say that they don't already know; they just refuse to do anything about it. Here's some advice to those who still work there though: stop wasting your time hoping. Find a new job now.

"It's not what you know, it's who."

Former Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Jackson National Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I met some good people. I had a good salary. I had good benefits.

Cons

Friends and relatives of upper management will go far at Jackson National. If you are not in the "good ole gal" clique that prevails in Operations, you will be stifled or even dismissed as I was. From the moment one of those "gals" became my boss I apparently couldn't do anything right. Up until that point I had been meeting and exceeding my supervisors expectations. But not so from then on. I believe that if you are not a part of the "in crowd" and one member of that clique dislikes you personally, you may as well quit because it won't be long before an excuse will be found to get rid of you. It's funny that the "offical" reason I was dismissed (mismanagement of a project allowing it to fall behind) still exists today and that project is still behind more than two years later.

Advice to Management

Grow up and recognize people for what they know, not on their closeness or friendships with upper management.