Jacobs - Not much job security | Glassdoor

"Not much job security"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large network of resources, friendly people, somewhat flexible schedule if you're not too busy.

Cons

If you're not fully billable, be worried about keeping your job. They seem to hire people when they are in high demand on a specific project, then lay those people off once things slow down. Then a couple months later, we're hiring more people again. On one instance, a person was laid off because of a lack of work to do, but that very week someone else in the company with the same title and credentials was putting in overtime. Why couldn't they have spread the work around to keep the employee around a little longer?

I am full time but have been on reduced hours because of a lack of billable work. One week I will have stuff to do and put in 40 hours, the next week there's nothing and I only do 21 hours. This is financially not a stable situation for a family, and a second job isn't doable since I never know when I'll be dong 40 hours or 21.

It would be nice if they could cut a smaller check to their shareholders and let employees charge more time to overhead.

The benefits are average but expensive!

Advice to Management

I always hear "People are our greatest asset", but I feel like that is far from the truth. I feel like this company cares more about it's shareholders than it's employees. I am constantly on edge concerned about my job security just because the marketing department is slacking off at winning new projects. It has been a year since my department won a job, and we have submitted dozens of proposals.

Other Employee Reviews for Jacobs

"You're a number"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    401K matching was excellent.
    Vacation time was very good
    Fair pay
    Good tuition assistance program

Cons

You're pretty much a number (I was employee number 47***)
    I drove trying to find access to more programs, no
    Poor communications both up the chain and across closely related divisions - too compartmentlised
    No access to higher echelons within my division
    Nigh on impossible to get required PPE (specifically Arctic gear, we worked on the North Slope)

Advice to Management

Loosen up the purse strings a little when it comes to required equipment
    Open the lines of communication
    Frankly, when I was hired I had another job in the queue, if I knew then what I know now, I'd most likely have taken the lower paying offer!

2. "Procurement"

Current Employee - Expediting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Expediting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jacobs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice People. Fun enviroment. They believe in meeting the client's needs. The projects at Jacobs were very challenging. I always felt part of the team.

Cons

Seems like the Director of the Southern Region for Procurement got the job becuase of his wife's conncections with senior mgmt and not on merit.

Advice to Management

Please fill positions based on merity