Jacobs - Great company! | Glassdoor

"Great company!"

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a Jacobs employee for 5 years. Great pay, benefits, and company culture.

Cons

I had a hard time working out FMLA and disability issues with our local HR department. I had a hard time getting up-to-date paperwork (forms, info, etc.) and getting in touch with personnel. Later the HR department switched over to a help desk/ticket system in which we had to submit queries through their online portal. If employees tried to contact any of the personnel directly instead of submitting a ticket, supervisors were reprimanded; this effectively stunted HR accessibility.

Other Employee Reviews for Jacobs

"Corporate Bureacracy"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a very large and continuingly growing company. They are global and are involved in some of the biggest projects in the world. If you are a career professional and want to be recognized by your peers and be proud of being affiliated with such large organization, than this is the place for you. Salary was good. I got consistent raises throughout the recession. Lots of work if you are willing to travel/relocate.

Cons

Although their presence spans the country and globe across many different service sectors, it's tremendously difficult if not impossible to go to another division or country. I tried to reach out to different VP's to solicit interest about positions or opportunities and got cold reception. It appears they would rather recruit externally instead of internally. How does this make any sense for a company that has the slogan "people are our greatest asset"? There are a lot of talented/smart people working there. All the people in upper management are all about titles though, so as a result there was constant internal politics and shifting of roles. The corporate culture is exactly that...corporate. There is no flexibility when it comes to thinking out of the box to address a need or solution for projects or individuals. Everything is done by the books by the letter. There is no philosophy towards supporting their employees to help them grow or advance...perhaps they're worried about their own jobs. Expenses for relocation for "temporary assignments" aren't even reimbursed. You can work your @ss off for the company and go above and beyond the call of duty, but no one will ever appreciate it.

Advice to Management

Should spend more time caring about your people instead of your titles.

2. "Very good opportunity to gain valuable experience at a well run company."

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Jacobs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very knowledgeable co-workers to learn from, well managed and balanced company.
    Good workers can quickly move upwards, with very little micro-management to get in the way.

Cons

Only the on again / off again nature of government work (It was all NASA contract work)