Jacobus Energy - Great company to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jacobus Energy

"Great company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The sales team is treated well by management. they spend a lot of money on new technology to get a leg up on competitors, and they provide good training of the consultative sales approach. the corporate office is in milwaukee and the company has a midwestern friendly and family like atmosphere. Benefits and 401k plan are very good, including great medical and profit sharing. Sales reps are given a good amount of autonomy in the field and a good sized territory to work with. You must perform there, but if you do, job security is quite good. Producers can advance quite well.

Cons

There is, like most other companies, a 2 week vacation period per year, and this doesnt go up until year 5. if you are in sales and you are not producing, maybe think twice about taking a week off.

Advice to Management

More training

Other Employee Reviews for Jacobus Energy

"Cultural Transformation"

I have been working at Jacobus Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with this company now for a little less than a year. I looked at all of the reviews prior to joining and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. I've found this to be true about Jacobus Energy. This company is moving from one of being more paternalistic to one with a performance and accountability culture. Any company that has been around for almost 100 years will have some great things about it and some not so great. I know first hand that the organization is starting to hold people more accountable than in the past for results. The oil market has been tight and our need to be as agile and efficient is paramount. Some of the non-performing employees and managers who have not been holding their people accountable are being asked to leave. I can assure you that those who take ownership of their roles and show results and live the company values will thrive through the amount of autonomy they are given and the impact they can make. Unfortunately, those who see their roles as "just a job" and try to "stay under the radar" and just do the minimum will not survive.

Cons

The downside of any cultural transformation is that people will slip from time to time so it will be important to use our values as the guiding light to everything we do. Walk the walk and talk the talk.

Given the past paternalism of the company and the unfortunate reality that some managers have not held their people accountable for some time, there may be some waves over the next few years as the company continues its journey to a culture of accountability and results. I'm sure those impacted by these changes may bad mouth the company and not look inside themselves for why they are no longer employed.

Advice to Management

Don't be swayed by any of the negative reports you see on Glassdoor due to "sour grapes". Stay the course and continue to build a world-class culture of accountability.

"You can't make this stuff up!"

Pros

Fairly paid for my role.

Cons

Amateur hour. A legacy family-owned business and all that implies. The people at the helm are clearly there because they're family or "intimately close" to family; not because they're accomplished business people. The CEO reads a book, and there is a new Vision Du jour. If you are interested in working for a company that has talented mentors that will help you hone your skill sets and develop your career, this would not be it.

Advice to Management

Clean house, starting with the CEO and hire some talented leadership.