Jagex - Trying hard to grow out of RuneScape | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jagex

"Trying hard to grow out of RuneScape"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Stable company making a lot of money
Great attention to employees
Nice place to work and good perks
Loads of great people

Cons

Doesn't pay as much as it could
Has no idea how to make a game other than Runescape
Doesn't seem to be able to manage contradiction
Overconfident because of financial success, while it should be modest and try to learn how to make a proper game
Paranoid security policy

Advice to Management

Listen to people who actually know how to get a game done from scratch, and don't think that Runescape is the way it's done today.

Other Employee Reviews for Jagex

"Some nice people, management has a complete lack of ability to develop a new title."

Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Jagex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really nice people there as the company seems to take personality into account above all else. They hire mainly graduates so you can get a foot in the door.
    Not much overtime in some teams.

Cons

I left Jagex a year ago and from my contacts there I believe that absolutely nothing has changed. When I started working for my new company it blew my mind to discover that most people in management had actually worked there way up from development this is not the case in Jagex. Beyond lead positions most people have come from community management or are mates of someone who has come from there. They have absolutely no idea how develop a new title or a new engine and essentially fall over eachother's feet at making any decision. 90% of all development work is time wasted due to management's complete lack of skill. At first you think Jagex is a nice place to work until you realise that only sycophants actually progress with their careers regardless of anyone else's skills or contributions. Despite over a decade of unlimited funds the company is of yet to produce a second profitable title. I look back at it now like it was as if I had run away with the circus without realising it.

Advice to Management

From the top down everyone should ask themselves truthfully "Do I really have an idea what I am doing?". Act upon the honest answer you give yourself and more than two thirds of you should quit the next day.

"Great people, hampered by systemic culture issues"

I worked at Jagex full-time

Pros

Friendly and warm people who make you welcome.
    Excellent atmosphere, relaxed while keen.
    Best work dos ever!
    Real sense of trust amongst teams.

Cons

Salary way below averages, even had a consultancy in once to work "towards average".
    All development open to the whim of senior staff, you'll be grateful for ever finishing on time.
    Jagex only does it the Jagex way. Highly resistant to outside influence or ideas.
    Many staffers have spent the majority of their career at Jagex and are resistant to anything new.
    Creative innovation is hampered by necessity to "be like RuneScape".

Advice to Management

Loosen up, allow your teams to innovate, pay them handsomely for the fine work they do, and then let them get on with it.