Jagex - A great working environment with some really talented employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jagex

"A great working environment with some really talented employees"

Former Contractor - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
Former Contractor - Programmer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A great working environment, easily accessible from all parts of Cambridge. Light, airy and spacious offices, great teams and a talented bunch of employees. During my time at Jagex, I always felt appreciated for the work that I contributed. From what I remember, Jagex had excellent facilities, perks and benefits to all staff. Great work is rewarded.

Cons

Long, working hours. Some poor communication between Managers and staff but my queries were always resloved and my feedback acknowledged.

Other Employee Reviews for Jagex

"Positive memories"

Former Contractor - Other
    Former Contractor - Other

I worked at Jagex as a contractor

Pros

I found Jagex to be a friendly company where you're encouraged to be creative and put your ideas forward. Sure, every business has its bad points and communication can always be improved but if you're preapred to put in the hours and share your ideas then its a rewarding place to be. Nice to have an on-site canteen which encourages everyone to be socialable and get to know each other.

Cons

Traffic around the Science Park can be a nightmare...

"A lucky company headed by an incompetent executive team"

Former Employee - Management in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Management in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Jagex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to work in terms of city, office quality, space
    - Very good team members with a lot to give
    - Still making loads of money, isn't going bust next year
    - Great HR team, much more structured than in comparable companies
    - Parties are awesome -when they happen.

Cons

- Worst executive team ever. Have no clue on how to make a video game, and don't listen to people who actually know
    - In relation to the above, the people who know how to make games and therefore challenge the executive team in their decisions can't progress in the company, so they leave or are let go
    - The company has only made one successful game, RuneScape, which is paying for the rest of the projects, none of them having ever made any money. It's lucky that RuneScape is still there but it won't be there forever.
    - There is a mentality of ignoring the obstacles and sticking to legacy ideas and systems which make the team much less productive than they could be (two different networks, security system more intense than in a central bank, reliance on internally developed language, absence or misuse of basic versioning systems, etc.)
    - The bravado attitude of the executives is just that: attitude. They've lied as much to their investors as they keep lying to their team.

The feeling I've had in this company was akin to being on the Titanic, with the captain yelling "Iceberg? What iceberg?". That same one who mentioned that he had fired more people than in ex-Yugoslavia. You get the picture...

Advice to Management

Resign. And stop lying to your investors and partners.