JetBlue - Great company going through growing pains. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for JetBlue

"Great company going through growing pains."

Current Employee - In Flight Crew/Flight Attendant in Boston, MA
Current Employee - In Flight Crew/Flight Attendant in Boston, MA

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free flight benefits, opportunities to grow in many area if you want to.

Cons

Rules can sometimes be up for interpretation. Extreme diversity in work ethics. At times, lack of proper and consistent accountability leads to frustration within work groups and creates an "us against them" mentality.

Advice to Management

Get away from STAR interview process and begin hiring management that is skilled in more than specialized interview techniques.

Other Employee Reviews for JetBlue

"The most horrible company Ive ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at JetBlue part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly Pay... and that's it.

Cons

Terrible management and supervision, terrible training. Terrible hours. They want you to be on top of everything but they aren't on top of everything themselves.

Advice to Management

How about about take some responsibility for your mistakes, don't overwork your employees, don't break rules when its convenient for you. Oh and make sure you train new employees on what they will actually be doing. Worst management ever.

"Nice on the outside, but rotten on the inside"

Current Employee - People Department in New York, NY
    Current Employee - People Department in New York, NY

I have been working at JetBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(This is all my view points from the LIC Support Center)
    -Younger workforce
    - Energized environment, but this differs from dept to dept
    - Great architecture at HQ with a modern-esq look and feel
    - Most upper management are at least educated, but that comes with arrogance
    - People are polite and professional
    - Fun culture when folks are happy

Cons

VPs and higher have no clue as to what goes on with the Day 2 Day operations and therefore take the lead from their Directors and Managers. My first month there I heard so many jokes about job security, but never took anything seriously because I thought my credentials and experience will speak for themselves. Well, I was wrong. If they want someone else in the position that can be high performing (bringing their own people in), they will make sure you are setup to fail. You will slowly be phased out without even knowing and one day be called in to let you know you have been terminated with the reason there isn't enough work. Only to discover that more people were hired for the department. Lesson? Yes, don't be afraid to push boundaries because it seems those are the ones that make it.

New Directors and old ones are re-hired to implement changes, but all they do is perpetuate bad actions and policies. They hardly ever do what is right for their people.

Also, if you are good at sucking-up, you will get far. People are promoted into management positions not because they have the qualifications, but if the VP or Director like you and you've been there 2-5 years, you are guaranteed to get the spot regardless of anyone else being qualified on the team. For such a young company I was surprised at the lack of diversity at the HQ. Hardly any people of color in management positions and hardly any women occupying top positions. The ones that are, seem like they only got it because of EEO policies (no pun intended). I know they are smart, but form the outside it looks like a farce.

Advice to Management

You claim to live by the mission and vision, but it seems it only pertains to customers. The people working hard to support you seem to be treated like they are dispensable and irrelevant. Remember to get to the top, you still need to step up and look down. Don't let your eagerness to get to the top cloud your judgement to do the right thing and concentrate less on doing it right.