Jimmy John's - There's Not Much Good To Say | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jimmy John's

"There's Not Much Good To Say"

Former Employee - PIC/Driver/In-Shop in Denver, CO
Former Employee - PIC/Driver/In-Shop in Denver, CO

I worked at Jimmy John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In short, I was able to become a shift manager in less than a month. This was largely because, unlike some of the people who had been working there for months (and in one case, over a year) I learned the menu.

Cons

They appear to have a standard of hiring the worst possible people for the job (or really any job). Although I know some people at other stores that are quality employees and have a decent staff, my store was filled with people who didn't know the menu, were unhygienic, has little or no customer service skills, and had to be continually monitored (or they'd do something bafflingly wrong). As I mentioned before, at my store there were employees who worked there for well over a year and did not know how to make a sandwich, wash dishes, or do basic tasks. Whether you're a driver or an in-shop, there are less than 20 menu items (and it's not like any of them have special preparation). Eventually I made a case for them to get shown the door but it was only after nearly six months of asking what certain employees had done to continue to work there. I was also only paid $8/hr to be a shift manager and made significantly more as a driver, so there was no real motivation for advancement. There were also points where I worked 28 days in a row (that's why it got one star for "work/life balance."

I don't know whether it's like that at every JJ's.

Advice to Management

Give a reason to want to move up with good compensation for your shift supervisors and competitive compensation/benefits for your management staff.
I know that it's a basic job and you're not going to get the best employees but it would be nice not to look like you're trying for the worst possible employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Jimmy John's

1. "A well oiled machine, when done right."

Former Employee - Delivery Bicyclist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Delivery Bicyclist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bicycle courier in the city was such an interesting experience. the sights as well as the people you meet really make the job awesome. The employees are always young colorful characters

Cons

Stressful environment at times. Dealing with intoxicated individuals gets draining from time to time on the late night shifts 10 pm- 5 am.

Advice to Management

The management at my store was helpful, motivated employees, and always tried to reason any problems effectively with calmed logic

2. "Jimmy"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Aurora, CO

I worked at Jimmy John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool staff, good hours, pretty easy job

Cons

A Lot of talking behind each other back, and stealing other's deliveries