Jive Software - Great Place to Work as an Intern | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Jive Software

"Great Place to Work as an Intern"

Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Palo Alto, CA
Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I am very lucky to have landed an internship at Jive for many reasons, but there's one reason in particular that outshines the rest: I feel important. It's easy for employers to throw their interns into the same old getting-coffee-and-filing-documents rut, but that simply has never happened to me here. Each of my projects is assigned to me with a purpose, and I can see tangible results upon my completion of these projects.

The other interns are fantastic. There are about eight of us in the Palo Alto office, and it's awesome hanging out with a group of people your age during lunch breaks or after work. Although the interns came into the office sporadically due to varying school schedules, we've all bonded quite well. Based solely on the impressive skill set and brightness each intern possesses, it's Jive's university program is a clear success.

There are also a few logistical reasons why I love Jive.
- The absurdly close proximity to downtown Palo Alto is to die for. My only complaint is that it makes choosing where to go for lunch far too difficult.
- My 9-5 hours are perfect: I have time to run before work, and I still feel like I have a day ahead of me when I leave.
- I get paid well for an intern.
- Working in the tech world is an incredible experience as-is, but doing so in the eye of the technology storm is really something else.
- Company culture is fantastic: there's a sense of laid-back intensity that keeps employees on their toes yet simultaneously excited about coming to work every day. Plus the beer that's on tap on every floor seems to keep the 21+ crowd happy.

Cons

My only real criticism about interning here is in regard to the feeling of disconnect between departments. Although Jive prides itself as a social software company, I barely know anyone who works just across the floor from me. I realize that there's a large number of employees working in the Palo Alto office, but I feel like I could have really benefitted from knowing people in other departments as an intern. Learning about how others work is part of the experience and I feel like there is room for improvement. Also, it was easy to feel disconnected with the other interns since they came into the office at different times over the course of the summer. Perhaps they can be grouped together in shifts?

Advice to Management

- More exposure to other departments
- Organized intern bonding activities after each new one comes in

Thank you Jive for giving me such a fantastic summer intern experience!

Other Employee Reviews for Jive Software

"Wow - what an experience!"

Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Global Director, Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Jive Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• The people are smart, interesting, helpful, dive deep in their respective areas, have a sense of humor.
    • The culture reflects our Jive product offerings enabling collaboration, communication and connection; high-energy and passion around what we do; agile and yet focused on a collective mission.
    • We encounter interesting and tough challenges daily which makes the work intellectually interesting and calls to each and every person to think bigger and step into new areas allowing for professional growth and development.
    • At Jive, we have the opportunity to “own” our work: we run lean which provides a great platform for each person to take part in the overall success of the company; we stretch and grow and we challenge ourselves to do better; we know that what we are doing will make a difference.
    • The work we do provides each individual with the ability to impact globally both in terms of Jive’s success and, more importantly, the success of our global customers and partners.
    • This is a fast-paced work environment that is ever-changing. What a ride…fasten your seat belts, you are going to have fun but you better be ready to flex with changes and step up into new areas of learning.
    • No day is the same as any other: we work in an environment of change as we are in the midst of an inflection point in our own evolution. What a great opportunity to be part of the journey from great to greater.
    • We eat what we cook: we use our own products every day and so we have a direct view into the capabilities of Jive’s products. For me, it is a new "workstyle" that enables me to be more productive and to enjoy the benefits of transparency I often missed with other companies.

Cons

Availability of snacks: dang…..am on another kind of “journey” as I can’t stay away from the Almond Joys.

Advice to Management

Continue being focused; continue to make those tough decisions; continue to care about your people, take this company to the next level - we WANT it!

"Mid-sized company with an enormous heart for its employees"

Pros

I was inspired to write this review after reading a recent interview with the company's CMO about work-life balance. Jive is the rare company that walks that walk, a fact which I am enormously grateful for. You don't have to have cancer to value a company and culture that lets you work around your life circumstances, but when you do have a serious illness like cancer (or a family member with an illness), you value it all the more.

I was blindsided by stage 3 breast cancer just 4 months after starting work at Jive. As a young-ish (early 40's) mid-career professional with some of the best blue-chip names in technology and consulting on my resume, it was natural for me to worry about how my new, much smaller employer with its start-up culture would handle the situation.

The first thing I learned after my diagnosis, from every medical institution I interacted with across multiple states, is that Jive has a benefits package on par or superior to the other firms I've worked for. I have literally lost track of how many times I have been told (usually with some shock and awe) that I have some of the best health insurance benefits they have seen.

Second, while working through cancer treatment is an intensely personal decision, for me it was something I wanted and needed to do to keep my sanity. Jive is an intensely social company which leverages its own technology to foster connectivity and engagement with its employees. That comes in very handy when you want to hire and retain smart, high caliber employees who live in remote places where Jive doesn't have offices, and also when you want to facilitate people working and contributing around their daily lives. That's the part where the CMO's interview really resonated with me.

For me, this flexibility has been critical. It meant that I have been able to work throughout diagnosis and surgery in the Bay area, three rounds of second opinions across the country, five months of chemo on the east coast, then back to the Bay area for radiation. I am now embarking on a clinical trial which looks to take me to yet another major city. Throughout, I have been able to stay involved and connected to my team by virtue of the company's work-from-anywhere culture and its use of its own technology to support that value system. And I haven't just been connecting with my immediate teammates, I've been busy interacting with everyone from sales, to our partners, to our CFO.

During some of the roughest sections of my chemo treatment I would have days when I was flat out useless. Jive has an (almost unheard of) unlimited PTO policy, but I tended to make up the work either in the evenings when I was feeling better, or over the weekends. I'm not a workaholic, but for me work was a welcome respite from depressing charts and statistics. I was never questioned once about how the hours balanced out, and to this day I honestly do not know.

Throughout my treatment, the entire company has been supportive in a compassionate, yet non-intrusive way. Jive's generous company policies follow a company culture that simply passionately values its employees. It's not as if these policies exist for the mere purpose of attracting top talent in the hyper-competitive Silicon Valley hiring market. This company actually cares, and I feel it in a way I did not feel at some of my blue chip former employers. This is a small(ish) company with a big heart, and I wish there were more like it.

Cons

This company values high engagement and interaction, so it's not a great place for those who prefer to remain anonymous or reclusive. And the flip side of a company that facilitates people working round the clock and remotely is that there is always someone working and sending out emails at all hours. With fuzzier work-life boundaries, it comes down to each employee managing that balance for themselves.

Advice to Management

Not advice, just: Thank you.