JoS. A. Bank - Good if you like wearing overpriced suits to work and getting paid minimum wage. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Good if you like wearing overpriced suits to work and getting paid minimum wage."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission during significant sales that occur roughly twice a year are a good time for commission as a sales person.

Cons

Sales executives are encouraged to sell sell sell as expected in any retail job. Although the commission is not worth the effort required to sell the necessary amount to make anything significant. Also, when making thousand dollar sales and averaging 50 thousand plus in annual sales receiving little to no commission, it is easy to become disillusioned. Look elsewhere for retail jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Don't make it a career"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dependent on where you live it can be very lucrative salary wise. Also if you sell a ton/do better than last year. The people you meet will be fantastic. Part time/full time sales executives I worked with are amazing people, including my former store manager. Customers can also really make your day. It is a FANTASTIC place to create contacts to then grow a list to find a career out of. If you just graduated from any business/law school I would suggest a part time job here as a way to meet contacts.

Cons

Hope you like living at the store. The RSD also can really affect the experience you have as a manager. Some will tend to be overbearing, always there, and to be candid, seemingly bi-polar requiring you to walk on eggshells with everything you do.

Goals are insane. They are often based percentage wise off whatever your store did last year, but takes no real consideration into any outlying factors such as economy, time of year, or actual sale.

I think the worst part of it would be the complete and total lack of training. I was hired into the Store Manager position from within, and my "training" consisted of one week with my former store manager, one day with the manager of the store I was taking over, one week on my own at the store, then 5 days with the former store manager. To my friends I describe the training experience as "giving your 15 year old the keys to a Ferrari and telling them to learn to drive"

Besides the lack of training, the company also pushes "100% customer satisfaction" which means break your back for the customer, no matter how much it may hurt your store's bottom line. It can mean taking a return of items a customer CLEARLY purchased at a Goodwill/eBay etc and brought to your store to return. No matter the condition or age of the garment you have to make them happy, God forbid that customer were to place a complaint against your store. You also have an archaic POS system to deal with, not to mention the catalog from store system, which is no different than if the customer were to order from their home!! (including still charging shipping to the store!!!)

Advice to Management

Ensure your RSD's are as personable as your Store Managers. Also, invest money in a myrad of areas. Technology, training, technology, technology, training, tech..am I repeating myself? Also take an edge off the Platinum service. It's good to treat your customers well, however 100% is virtually impossible.

"Company only concerned about the almighty dollars and not their employees."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your colleagues are some really good people.

Cons

Work hard all year and they find reasons not to pay you your bonuses. They have some impossible initiatives in place that ensures you don't get your bonus. Then they say it's you're fault. Overall, the heads of the company are clueless.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with why your company is a success right now. It's called your people. Otherwise you will continue to lose great employees and in the future fail.