JoS. A. Bank - Great Time Great People | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Great Time Great People"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Accommodating manager, tries to be helpful to everyone. As long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off it's a great environment

Cons

Did not experience any cons. Maybe the leaving early policy but that is not too big of a deal

Advice to Management

think about snow storm policy, that's all great time otherwise

Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Distribution center on par with sweat shop"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

Cons

Inconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

Advice to Management

You might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

"A Frustrating Three Years"

Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales "Executive" in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made several great friends. The store manager would let us have most of his sales in an attempt to keep us happy.

Cons

It is mathematically impossible to make a living wage in a small market store. The obsolescent draw system used by the company requires a permanent employee to sell in the neighborhood of $6,000 before commission is activated. I made 17 cents above my hourly pay (that NEVER was raised in three years) in one very active sales week. My largest "bonus" cleared $50 for over $300,000 in sales. There is no incentive to sell late in a slow week. I still worked hard in that situation because that's all I know, but I am certain that my work ethic was affected subconsciously.

Customers are permitted to be unreasonable, and any resistance to them results in disciplinary action up to and sometimes including termination.

Advice to Management

Quit being condescending dictators and adopt a more considerate attitude toward employees. The long term result will be a more experienced, long-term workforce. A pay scale of minimum wage per hour plus 1-2% of all sales for each employee might cost the company more initially, but would elevate morale and incentive.