JoS. A. Bank - Great Time Great People | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Great Time Great People"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Department Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Accommodating manager, tries to be helpful to everyone. As long as you know what you're doing and don't slack off it's a great environment

Cons

Did not experience any cons. Maybe the leaving early policy but that is not too big of a deal

Advice to Management

think about snow storm policy, that's all great time otherwise

Other Employee Reviews for JoS. A. Bank

"Distribution center on par with sweat shop"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Hampstead, MD

I worked at JoS. A. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my supervisor and most of my co-workers were generally congenial and pleasant to work with. Facility was close to home, country-like setting, pleasant commute, relaxed dress code, good overtime pay, union medical insurance was very affordable.

Cons

Inconsistent training, union would not stand up for its members (totally in bed with management), restrictive environment, favoritism by supervisors, low pay for hard work, no pay increase for more work, mandatory weekends & sometimes 7 day work weeks during peak times. Union employees get no sick leave, no retirement plan, and the attendance policy is unreasonable. You'd better pray you never get sick, your spouse, kids, parents or pets never get sick, and your car never breaks down or needs to go into the shop. They will still count the absences against you and won't even accept doctor's notes. If you accumulate a certain number of absences, you will be summarily fired. This is appalling! The current policy penalizes good employees while the employees who forge doctor's notes and abuse FMLA continue their evil-doing without consequence. The place is so poorly managed, one might wonder how the company has survived. Management counts on the fact that people need jobs (esp. people who have trouble finding employment elsewhere), so they can get away with treating employees so poorly. Don't like it? Then get out. There will always be another warm body willing to jump on the treadmill. Advancement opportunities? Unless you're a man who's buddies with his supervisor, better forget about it.

Advice to Management

You might want to start with running background checks on your supervisors and get rid of the felons. And for goodness sake, provide some management skill training. Many of them have no supervisory experience whatsoever, and seem to be unfamiliar with HR policy and laws. I've witnessed bullying tactics, foul language and racist comments. This kind of behavior by supervisors presents a liability for the company and makes for a negative work environment. Other advice: get rid of the union and include all employees under the same umbrella - the union creates an "us and them" mentality. Start drug testing and background checks for all distribution center employees and increase the pay scales. Better quality employees = better quality workplace, more efficient management, less turnover and absenteeism, less waste, less shrink, more profits.

2. "Not my first choice"

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at JoS. A. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great. Most of my coworkers are awesome (but that can be anywhere). There is room to move up in the company.

Cons

The pay is not good at all. Draw vs. commission is a joke. If you're full time at a slow store, it is damn near impossible to make commission. You bust your butt selling things and odds are you will probably get paid hourly. The manager at my store is terrible, but that can occur anywhere. The prices constantly changing makes it difficult on customers and difficult on us. It's hard to really push a product when the price continuously changes. The number of sales has taught people I only come and shop with spending a lot in mind when it's a good sale like but 1 get 3. When there aren't sales and most things are full price, not too many people want to shop.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better and more thoroughly. Quit the constant price changes. Get rid of draw vs commission or make it reasonable at least at historically slow stores