Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory - Making Critical Contributions to National Security | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

"Making Critical Contributions to National Security"

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people trying to make good contributions to national security. I have been involved in some really fun projects that have been implemented and made an improvement to the sponsors that we have worked with.

Cons

Management in some departments do not have a clear direction or good answers for their sponsors.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1. "APL was a great place to learn technical skills and get knee deep in real world applicable work!"

Current Intern - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD
    Current Intern - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people that are all very knowledgable in their fields.
    Great pay for interns.
    Real World work to be done, they trust you to do whats necessary even with little experience.

Cons

Conflicts between what sponsor wants and what is best for the systems etc.
    Some not so social people invested in their work.
    Good amount of bureaucracy involved in things.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

"Great place to work (although a bit bureaucratic)"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Associate Staff) in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Associate Staff) in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, Good benefits, nice retirement plan, very nice work environment, not for profit, technical workers have a lot of flexibility in projects

Cons

Promotions are largely based on "time in grade." Not uncommon to hear "You haven't even been hear 5 years -- what do you know?" Very large and bureaucratic -- so change takes a while.

Advice to Management

Focus more on listening to all people involved in projects (APL, vendors, Gov't) -- work on creating more of a "We keep everyone honest" mentality as opposed to a "Listen to us because we're awesome" culture.

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory