Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory - Overall very good experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

"Overall very good experience"

Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Senior Staff II in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment for scientists and engineers. Good benefits. Good educational facilities to pursue further degrees.

Cons

Large increase in layers of management: has to some degree adversely affected technical excellence the laboratory has been known for.

Advice to Management

Reduce management, and focus on technical excellence and innovation.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

"Making Critical Contributions to National Security"

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people trying to make good contributions to national security. I have been involved in some really fun projects that have been implemented and made an improvement to the sponsors that we have worked with.

Cons

Management in some departments do not have a clear direction or good answers for their sponsors.

2. "APL was a great place to learn technical skills and get knee deep in real world applicable work!"

Current Intern - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD
    Current Intern - Technical Aide in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people that are all very knowledgable in their fields.
    Great pay for interns.
    Real World work to be done, they trust you to do whats necessary even with little experience.

Cons

Conflicts between what sponsor wants and what is best for the systems etc.
    Some not so social people invested in their work.
    Good amount of bureaucracy involved in things.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory