Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory - The cutting EDGE | Glassdoor

"The cutting EDGE"

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

Pros

Amazing place to work, BLEEDING edge

Cons

There are NO cons at JHU

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory2018-11-29
  1. "Great place to intern"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot from this internship. There are lots of groups doing vastly different, yet state-of-the-art work in one place, so it can be humbling to be around so many smart people. As an intern, you'll be given a challenging project almost certainly - and there's always more work to do if you're not challenged enough. Supervision is very "laissez-faire" - I never felt like I was being coddled as an intern, and... always felt comfortable reporting to anyone on the team if I had a road block on my project. Compensation is great for general engineering in the area, and a little less so for software engineering, which tends to have six-figure-prorated intern salaries these days. Finally, there's lots of niche benefits that are not explicitly advertised but you'll come to appreciate, such as on-campus food trucks and free maker/VR spaces.

Cons

At a UARC such as this one, odds are that you'll be working on some DoD project, whether that's current direct-funded T&E or future capabilities. While the tech is cool, sometimes it is not the most inspiring, especially if you're working on offensive capabilities. Also, the tempo here can be a bit slower than a prime contractor, for example.

Advice to Management

N:A; the intern program here is fairly well run

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory2019-10-15
  2. "Fantastic Culture of Continuous Improvement"

Current Employee - Associate Professional Staff II in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extensive internal funding for staff startup projects Management challenges staff to push for continuous improvement Flexible work-life balance

Cons

Parking Office space is getting crowded

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory2019-10-11

Discover more reviews about Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.