Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory - A stable place with a great variety of technical work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

"A stable place with a great variety of technical work"

Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD
Current Employee - Senior Professional Staff I in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel very stable here, and I sleep well knowing that if my current project isn't a good fit, it's very likely I can find something that fits my needs and future goals. Technical employees are encouraged, but not forced, to take on leadership and management roles. Recently, APL has pushed for more innovation by providing actual funding for ideas and building a "maker space" lab to help build more of an innovation-oriented community. Job stability is very high.

Cons

As with any large company, you have to put up with irritating policies: for example, buying software, even the smallest productivity-enhancing tool, takes way more effort and time than you'd expect (government regulations, apparently?). Your computer will feel like it's four years old even when it's fresh out-of-the-box because of the security-related stuff on it - fine if you're a PowerPoint jockey, but terrible if you need to do anything that requires more horsepower.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your scientists technical people and keep up the innovation efforts.

Other Employee Reviews for Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory

1. "Great place with great people, sometimes bogged down in bureaucracy."

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Laurel, MD

I worked at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people.
    Helpful environment where time is taken to teach and learn from eachother.
    Decent pay.
    Excellent benefits.

Cons

Education benefits have to apply to your project, so you can't explore anything.
    Some anti social people.

Advice to Management

Keep acquiring young talent.

"Good place for older Software Engineers who want to stay technical"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- lots of opportunities are provided to keep learning and apply new technology

- innovation and collaboration are encouraged

- experience is valued and achievement is recognized

- highly ethical work environment is provided, age discrimination is not tolerated

- good pay, good benefits, nice offices, lots of flexibility in work arrangements

Cons

- can be an impersonal and bureaucratic workplace, depending on the group

- sponsors often require strict program oversight which leads to tedious planning, tracking, and reporting requirements

Work at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory